Model K on eBay

Started by coastal_dan, July 17, 2015, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Superhook

Fun for the watchers and nail biting for the Bidders.

Tightlines667

Up and up it goes...
where it will stop...
nobody knows

:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

$455.01 with 3 days left....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

$797.00 plus 13.00 shipping..... ???
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Superhook

I have seen them sell between $500 and either side of $2000 so who knows at what figure it will end.

Reel 224

In my tiny mind I can not figure how someone selling a reel of value wouldn't have it looking in show condition, that reel looks like it has seen some hard times. Dumb question! Is that reel really worth that Kind of money? :o
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mike1010

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 21, 2015, 12:58:50 PM
Is that reel really worth that Kind of money? :o

I think that is what we are learning.  Like anything, in the end it is worth what somebody is willing to pay.  Of course, we can still scratch our heads and say, "Huh?"

foakes

In my tiny mind I can not figure how someone selling a reel of value wouldn't have it looking in show condition, that reel looks like it has seen some hard times. Dumb question! Is that reel really worth that Kind of money? :o

This seller knows what he is doing, Joe --

The buyer of this reel will be a collector looking to add a "K" to the Penn display.

Since it shows obvious wear that will not ever go away -- it can look much better cleaned up and restored -- but the seller is not hiding anything here -- and the buyer will want to go through it himself, anyway -- using his own expertise and methods that he can show off later.

And it shows the original condition -- with nothing hidden -- and no snakes to slither out later.

Smart call on the sellers part -- since it will likely sell for more in this untouched condition -- than restored.

If the seller did too much to it -- it would still not be enough for the buyer -- and some buyers might expect more than it is -- this way they know exactly what they are getting -- and no complaints later to the seller...

Just my own opinions about buyers, sellers, ebay, and human nature.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on July 21, 2015, 03:34:49 PM

This seller knows what he is doing, Joe --

The buyer of this reel will be a collector looking to add a "K" to the Penn display.

Since it shows obvious wear that will not ever go away -- it can look much better cleaned up and restored -- but the seller is not hiding anything here -- and the buyer will want to go through it himself, anyway -- using his own expertise and methods that he can show off later.

And it shows the original condition -- with nothing hidden -- and no snakes to slither out later.

Smart call on the sellers part -- since it will likely sell for more in this untouched condition -- than restored.

If the seller did too much to it -- it would still not be enough for the buyer -- and some buyers might expect more than it is -- this way they know exactly what they are getting -- and no complaints later to the seller...

Just my own opinions about buyers, sellers, ebay, and human nature.

Best,

Fred

Yes Fred I understand what you are saying and that seams to hold true in most collectables not new but original. I'm one of those guys that like new look but old stile, Like wine gets better with age, just blow the dust off the bottle ;D I like my woman that way too. :o ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Penn Chronology

Just thought I would put my two cents in. As far as Model K's goes, this one is a really good one. Consider these reels have been steadily fished for about 80 years and the side plate boss is Bakelite. This one is unbroken, most are not. I predict a grand or more before it is over. I got off it at $600+, I just do not have the pockets to compete for this.

Oh, why not? Lets see if they outbid me if I go over $800. Then I will be done.

Nope, they just will not let me in.

I will have to find one at a garage sale.

Reel 224

I couldn't even afford admission to that show. :o :D

Tightlines667

Only 4hrs left...
last chance to own a reel significant piece of Penn history

I wonder if anyone has ever bought one of these in a sleeper listing? 
Doesn't seem very likely, in recent years anyways. 
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

SOLD!

$1,003.01...shipped.

Guess you have to be willing to step up and pay up for some items.

Mike's prediction was spot on.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

QuoteI wonder if anyone has ever bought one of these in a sleeper listing? 

About eight years ago I was offered all three 1932 reels, all in nice condition, for $1500. That is a Model F, K with star and K without star. I passed it up. Still kicking myself over that one. I could easily get four grand for that set today.

In the Penn 2005 catalog is a Penn history article. In that article there is a Model K with star shown in a 1933 Long Beach box. That reel was bought by Herbert Henze (son of Otto) on EBay for small money. These reels have tripled in value in the past seven years or so. There are very few of them. I used to keep a informal count of all the 1932 models. In ten years I would estimate about a dozen Model F's, about the same amount of Model K's with star and possible a half dozen Model K's without star. These are truly rare pieces. When they are listed on EBay, they almost always go for four figures.

IN 1932 there were about 1000 F's made and 1000 K's. The K's are divided between the star and non-star models. I suspect over 75% of the K's are with star drag models.