Model K on eBay

Started by coastal_dan, July 17, 2015, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Most of what you see with a Model F and Model K are unique to these models. It is virtually impossible to replace the parts you see unless you buy another F or K so you will still be in the same position except you would have 2 reels the same and spent twice as much.

If you find one completely original then you have hit a home run. If it is in good condition .....you're Gladstone Duck Lucky , but you would have paid high for it.

Shark Hunter

I guess that is why You, Mike and Ted collect these very rare vintage pieces.
I am a Penn guy through and through, but 4 figures?
I know I have a problem, but I don't want it that bad.
I'll take that back, maybe I do, but I would have to have a Cherry 16 and 14/0 to pay that much. ;D
I will keep my collecting in my realm of thinking. Whether it is sane or not. ;)
My hats off to you fellas. I guess that's why You write the history that we all follow. :)
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI will keep my collecting in my realm of thinking. Whether it is sane or not.

Daron, you are so RIGHT! Collecting is very personal and it has nothing to do with sanity. We collect to satisfy internal yearnings of all kinds. Historical awareness, nostalgia and the treasure hunting needs are strong desires that many collectors live by. Most collectors care about the history; but, absolutely every collector I have ever met wants to find a $10,000 item at a garage sale for $12.00.
         That is part of the reasoning we use to justify our insatiable needs to accumulate old stuff, that is the Profit Motive that makes collecting appear sane (I use that Profit Motive aspect every time my wife asks me what I am doing and why am I spending so much time doing it  ::)).
         What makes it insane is that most collectors will spend their entire life dedicating thousands of hours of personal time, compiling unfathomable amounts of information and burying themselves in personal landfills of old stuff, justifying it all with that old Profit Motive mentality; but, not sell their most valuable pieces because they put so much of their heart and soul into finding them.

After careful consideration, no matter how you spin it, collectors do what they do for emotional reasons, rather than for logical reasons. Sometimes emotions will make someone appear that they are not using their God given powers of "Reasoning" and that their behavior cannot be explained in terms of sanity.  So be it, I love the rush of the treasure hunt and no amounts of explanations of my sane or insane behavior is going to change that..... ;D

I guess all collectors want to be as Ray says, ""If you find one completely original then you have hit a home run. If it is in good condition .....you're Gladstone Duck Lucky""!! ;D ;D ;D

sharkman

Are there any specific markings to identify.

Reel 224

Can't say I share the enthusiasm of collecting as others do, but I do wonder if there is a book on value of such findings in the realm of antique collectable Reels...such as the blue book on firearms for instance.    
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Penn Chronology

QuoteAre there any specific markings to identify

The Model K is full of tells that make it unique to 1932, besides the Logo that tells you it is a Model K. The Model K we have seen auction off for over a grand this week was a true, unmolested Model K. On the tail plate you will see a round clicker button, very indicative of Ocean City design, possibly even bought from the same source that was used by Ocean City. That round clicker button is only used in 1932. There were some of them left over, so occasionally you will find a 1933 Sea Hawk using that round clicker button, which enhances the value of the Sea Hawk or any other 1933 reel found with the round button. I have seen a few Sea Hawks with that round button and a really small amount of Sea Fords with that button. I cannot recall ever seeing any Penn reel after 1933 with the round Ocean City style clicker.

Now let's move to the head plate. The spool bearing on the head plate side is a round bearing, designed to be finger tight only. Being that these reels don't always age gracefully, many of these round spool bearings freeze, requiring pliers to remove them, causing them to get galled up. The one that sold this week had damage to that bearing.
         Also on the head plate side is the special type screw used to hold down the free spool lever. That screw is unique to the Model K. The head is larger than a normal lever retaining screw used on the later model Long Beach and Bay Side reels and the edges of the head are sharp, rather than rounded off. Handle edges and star wheel edges are also sharper than later model parts; but, that trait goes on for a few of the early years.
         If you open the reel up you will find a small "K" inside a circle on each side plate. In 1932 & 1933 Penn did not mold their own side plates, with the exception of the head plates on early Bay Side and Sea Ford models. The side plates were molded by the Kuhn Jacobs Molding Company, hence, the Circle K molded mark inside each head plate.

Looking at the patina of the metal parts will also show a true 1932 or 33 reel and of course, these plates must be brown in color, not black as Penn went to in 1934. And very important is the undamaged head plate main shaft molded in Bakelite collar. Most of them are broken, the one on this reel was not.

All in all, if you are familiar with the tells, you will know whether the reel is right or not. This one was right.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI do wonder if there is a book on value of such findings in the realm of antique collectable Reels...such as the blue book on firearms for instance.

There are a number of books aka price guides available on collectible reels. Some are brand specific, like the Pflueger book, the late Ted Bingham's,  Edward vom Hofe history book gives modern values or my Green Cover Penn companion book which has a price guide for the first 25 years of the company.

A gentleman named Stu Lawson also wrote antique reel price guides about 15 years ago;

http://www.amazon.com/Lawsons-Price-Guide-Fishing-Reels/dp/0964394464/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437594448&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=stu+lawson+fishing+reel+price+guide

But this Prince Guide has turned into a collectible itself with asking prices in the hundreds category; but, there are other price guides:

http://www.amazon.com/Collectible-Fishing-Reels-Schiffer-Collectors/dp/0764317679/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=18DWMNRWZGSH7NAX4H74

http://www.amazon.com/Collectors-Guide-Antique-Fishing-Tackle/dp/1555215254/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=07RW138FDVVPRYFH2V0R

And more if you go on Amazon and search around.

So there are some guides out there. I feel experience is best teacher. Price Guides are good for retail values and to create guidelines; but, they get dated and become obsolete very quickly. They are very handy and hopefully others start contributing more in the future and the hobby grows.

Reel 224

That's quite true about blue book values becoming out dated, I used to keep up on the new additions for firearms because of customers wanting to know what something was worth and for my reference when I was buying and selling....no longer an issue for me, but I was curious to see if there was such a publication for reels.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."