Offshore kayak juggling

Started by Prof. Salt, July 21, 2015, 12:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

Two fish at a time sure feels that way sometimes. Last trip out I just kept hoking them in pairs, and most of the time both would come in for a measurement. It was a busy morning but lots of fun!

Reel 224

I'm definitely not Kayak material at 360# but I do enjoy watching your videos, I have a question. Do you fish alone or do you buddy up out there? Just seams to me those Kayak's are a bit shaky for fishing bigger fish especially when landing one or trying to release it. I'm sure you have been doing it for years and watching you, you do make it look easy....but I know better. ;) Think I remember reading one of your posts that you are fishing the Gulf out of Texas. Is that right? My son and his family have recently moved to Huston area and he has mentioned fishing the Gulf, maybe he could get into Kayaking, he is definitely better suited then I am. Anyway nice video and again I do enjoy watching.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

Glenn, Another great report!  Those Kings were certainly keeping you busy. :D

Can I ask what pliers you use and how do you like them. I have a couple pairs and the X-tools blue plastic, green foam grip ones have been surprisingly good for what they are.

Pretty much a disposable set. The plastic nose does one thing really well. They stickily grip hooks without damaging them or the lure. The other side of coin is they wear incredibly fast and are toast in a couple of seasons. They are feather lite on the hip, fast in and out of the holster and don't pull down the wader belt like a pound of steel does and no rust.

Steel pliers rust overnight in the salt environ and are HEAVY. I just haven't tipped the wallet wide open yet for Van Staals but would like to hear your thoughts on something economical, yet decent and durable.

My local yak and land fishing quarry sees only forceps needs as they are for the most part toothless - pharyngeal teeth of carp don't wreck hooks or lures plus I only use single hooks  Alaska fish are a different story.

Steve

Prof. Salt

Joe, I fish out of the Corpus Christi area and try to go with others when I head offshore. When the conditions are good I will go alone if others aren't available, but there is definitely a risk with doing solo trips. I advise most people not to do it until they are prepared for most possibilities out there. I was with others on this trip (we spread out pretty far apart but are in the same area). I was fishing solo when I caught the giant stingray, and all my largest shark catches have been made while solo. It's definitely not for everyone, and you have to keep your head in the game at all times (even if you look relaxed).

The Houston area has a big group of guys who fish together, and they communicate frequently among their group about trips. None of that group fishes alone, and your son would be welcomed to come out with them. Have him check in on Texaskayakfisherman.com

Steve-O, my pliers are made by P-Line, and cost around $35. The body is anodized aluminum and the jaw inserts are black stainless. Usually after three long seasons the jaw grips get worn and they don't grip the hooks as well, so I spring for new ones. The hinge seems completely inmpervious to rusting. They seemed expensive when I bought them, but now they seem to be a real bargain.

Doug

I have a kayak I use on the lake way too close to the water for me fishing let alone salt water

Shark Hunter

Thanks for taking us along once again. Great Video.
Life is Good!

Doug

Great video takes for including us

Steve-O

Steve-O, my pliers are made by P-Line, and cost around $35. The body is anodized aluminum and the jaw inserts are black stainless. Usually after three long seasons the jaw grips get worn and they don't grip the hooks as well, so I spring for new ones. The hinge seems completely inmpervious to rusting. They seemed expensive when I bought them, but now they seem to be a real bargain.

thanks, Glenn...I will drop in my local Cabela's or Sportsmans Warehouse and check them out. Heavy steel is out for me besides the instant rust issue and the X-Tools plastic jobby-do's get worn rather quickly in 3 trips to AK. averaging 2-300 fish a week.

Some of the cheap aluminum pliers with steel inserts have had issues of being too soft and bending on feisty fish. I will try them in the store first

best fishes!
Steve

Reel 224

Quote from: Prof. Salt on July 21, 2015, 07:30:37 PM
Joe, I fish out of the Corpus Christi area and try to go with others when I head offshore. When the conditions are good I will go alone if others aren't available, but there is definitely a risk with doing solo trips. I advise most people not to do it until they are prepared for most possibilities out there. I was with others on this trip (we spread out pretty far apart but are in the same area). I was fishing solo when I caught the giant stingray, and all my largest shark catches have been made while solo. It's definitely not for everyone, and you have to keep your head in the game at all times (even if you look relaxed).

The Houston area has a big group of guys who fish together, and they communicate frequently among their group about trips. None of that group fishes alone, and your son would be welcomed to come out with them. Have him check in on Texaskayakfisherman.com

It would never be an option for me but it is very exciting to watch you out there and you do make it look easy, it looks like fun I'm just to crippled up to do that at this point in my life. I will forward that information to my son and thank you for the suggestion, he is 42 but I'm still concerned about his safety all the time.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Quote from: Doug on July 21, 2015, 07:45:41 PM
I have a kayak I use on the lake way too close to the water for me fishing let alone salt water

Im With you Doug, nice and quiet on a soft lake.

Prof. Salt

One of the regulars in the Houston area is around 70 and he's pretty stout. He rigged up a rope ladder so he can climb back aboard if he should end up in the water. He even practices the move once in a while to be sure he can still do it. The fishing tends to be closer to shore in that area, usually within a mile of the beach so it might be a simpler way to get a taste of the big water and some big reds and sharks.

Childers

Plenty of action there, nice one

Cheers

broschro