Albacore Fishing

Started by Keta, July 28, 2015, 01:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I drove 4 hours north Saturday, spent the night at a friends house north of Eugene, then another 3 hour drive north west to Garibaldi and fished Sunday.  We made a 40 mile run through 60°-68° water and started catching albacore 5 minutes after we started fishing.  The first stop was on a 8" diameter 4' long branch and we got 6 nice size fish on dead anchovies, iron and swim baits.  We trolled until we hooked up then caught fish casting and dropping to them, I think 6 troll caught out of the 23 fish we managed to land.  For some reason we lost more than usual, 8 or 9 fish.  Made the long drive home Monday, after cleaning the boat.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

The next planned trip will be for halibut, salmon, albacore and crab.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

sounds like a worthwhile trip for certain.  I fear were not going to get much of a season here on the central coast again tis year, so far all reports have been the no fish kind.
Maybe its time for me to visit family up in Tillamook.
well done.

Keta

Quote from: David Hall on July 28, 2015, 04:35:18 PM
sounds like a worthwhile trip for certain.  I fear were not going to get much of a season here on the central coast again tis year, so far all reports have been the no fish kind.
Maybe its time for me to visit family up in Tillamook.
well done.

We hit 60° water just past the Tilly Bay jaws but did not hear of any reports of fish caught in close.  We were headed to some numbers given to us by friends that fished Saturday but never made it to them. 9 miles short.

Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Sounds like a great day Lee!  ;)

esgeo

Nice job and thanks for the report.  Do you mind providing a little more info on the drift fishing tackle and techniques?  Specifically, what kind of iron were you using, was it fresh dead anchovies or frozen and how did you have them rigged, and were you jigging swimbaits or just casting and retrieving? Did you chum any chunk bait on the slide?

I am planning to go out on a boat out of HMB or SC if they show up here this year, but we never fish the slide, just troll till we hook up and then do it again, and I wanted to be prepared to try some techniques to get a drift bite going.

Thanks a ton!  Eric  

Keta

6-1/2'-7' 30# rods for dead bait, IQF anchovies, chum with baits cut in 3 pieces and whole with a whole anchovy hooked through the head to hold jaws closed.   5'-10' Fluorocarbon topshots and #2 hooks and 1-2 ounce sinker head on with  rubber band.  Leave hanging in rod holder at the depth fish are being marked.

Same length rods for iron but 25# and 30#.  Spinnows seemed to work best for iron this trip.

7'-7-1/2' 25# and 30# rods for swimbaits, cast and slow retrieve or cast and put in rod holder to leave hanging.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Sounds great Lee, but I'm not sure it happened if I don't see any pics ;D
I'm glad you got out there.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Were any of these fish giving off that 'Japanese Glow'? 

Nice report...sounds like a long day.  Pictures would be great.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

esgeo

Quote from: Keta on July 28, 2015, 07:06:33 PM
6-1/2'-7' 30# rods for dead bait, IQF anchovies, chum with baits cut in 3 pieces and whole with a whole anchovy hooked through the head to hold jaws closed.   5'-10' Fluorocarbon topshots and #2 hooks and 1-2 ounce sinker head on with  rubber band.  Leave hanging in rod holder at the depth fish are being marked.

Same length rods for iron but 25# and 30#.  Spinnows seemed to work best for iron this trip.

7'-7-1/2' 25# and 30# rods for swimbaits, cast and slow retrieve or cast and put in rod holder to leave hanging.

Thanks for all the detail- it is much appreciated! Eric

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 28, 2015, 07:10:40 PM
Sounds great Lee, but I'm not sure it happened if I don't see any pics ;D
I'm glad you got out there.
Me too.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I'll take a photo of the jars.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

The great Warren Hamachi told me "If you don't haves pics it didn't happen"  I'm not sure that's true ? Sounds like you had a nice trip my friend...Pics are always nice

Tim