A.B.Urfabriken Record 1900 green, one of the prettiest casting reels ABU made

Started by Abuadmiral, July 31, 2015, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abuadmiral

Hi Guys
My mate Tim Parrat serviced my quite rare Green Record 1900 in 2010 and created this Service guide to share on my website.
Here it is for you to enjoy. Sadly it is text only here as I could not get the 25 images to copy across.
You can see it all in entirety here on my website

http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/Record%201900%20service.pdf

Record 1900 service
On the outside this is a very clean reel. Unfortunately the colour is the same as the background but the photos should be
clear! Remove the thumbscrew for the worm cover and the four pillar screws holding on the left side plate.
Remove the side plate and the plastic side plate spacer. Note the bushing for the end of the worm gear-this is not fixed to
the side plate.
Remove the screw and cover from the bottom of the level wind. The pawl can be removed from the level wind, and the
level wind and worm gear removed from the frame.
Remove the handle nut and handle. Remove the four pillar screws on the right side plate.
Remove the side plate and plastic spacer ring. The metal gear for driving the worm gear simply lifts from the frame.
Remove the spool cap. Remove the three bridge screws and then remove the entire bridge/gear assembly from the side
plate. Note the fibre washer on top of the main gear.
The main gear lifts off the bridge assembly-note the idler gear is under the main gear. A clip holds the drag washers in
place in the side plate. Carefully remove this and then remove the drag washers.
The drag washers are laid out left to right in the order they were removed from the side plate. Give them a thorough
clean and then replace in the correct sequence back in the side plate. After cleaning all the other parts it is time to
reassemble. Add some oil to the main gear shaft and then replace the main gear. Replace the fibre drag washer on top of
the main gear. Add some grease to the main gear teeth (don't forget to add grease to the teeth of the idler gear-it is at
the base of the main gear).
Replace the bridge gear assembly on the side plate and fix in place with the three bridge screws (don't forget to grease
the threads). Replace the handle and handle nut. Add a drop of oil to the felt washer in the spool cap and replace it on
the side plate.
Add a drop of oil to the shaft of the worm drive gear and then replace it in the frame. Replace the plastic side plate
spacer and then replace the side plate-not forgetting to grease the screw threads. Reattach the worm gear and the level
wind in the frame. Add a few drops of oil to the worm gear where the pawl sits and also to the shaft where it contacts
the frame.
Add a drop of oil to the ends of the spool shaft and then replace in the frame. Replace the plastic side plate spacer and
then fix the side plate in space with the four pillar screws (you can add a drop of oil to the clicker before replacing).
Replace the thumbscrew for the worm gear.
Add a couple of drops to the handle knobs and you're finished!

I hope you enjoyed reading , now see pics here  http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/Record%201900%20service.pdf
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
www.realsreels.com

basto

Very nice indeed!  I used to have a 6500 mag elite in that colour green, but I much prefer the earlier models with the fixed spool axle.
Mine had a floating axle and too much plastic inside.
I recently bought an Ambassadeur 12 which is all stainless under the hood, except for the gear sleeve and main gear.
regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Abuadmiral

Thanks Basto
Yes the R 1900 is a pretty reel and would still work nicely today.
R 1900  has an earlier  black rimmed version also.
The green one  did cost me a lot so I have merely test cast it on dry land to keep salt away.
I have been using Ambassadeur since I was given my first (6000 C) for my 21st.
Today I have a lot of all era to use but PF have lifted the game in recent years with the Revo.
I love my Inshore version with 20lb of drag. My baitcaster of choice for salt water at present.
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
www.realsreels.com

basto

Quote from: Abuadmiral on August 01, 2015, 11:03:34 AM
Thanks Basto
Yes the R 1900 is a pretty reel and would still work nicely today.
R 1900  has an earlier  black rimmed version also.
The green one  did cost me a lot so I have merely test cast it on dry land to keep salt away.
I have been using Ambassadeur since I was given my first (6000 C) for my 21st.
Today I have a lot of all era to use but PF have lifted the game in recent years with the Revo.
I love my Inshore version with 20lb of drag. My baitcaster of choice for salt water at present.

I got my first ABU about 1980, a red 5500 followed by a 7000 and then a 9000c
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n