Drag system question on Abu Garcia5500 C3

Started by RAM3, January 05, 2011, 02:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM3

I have 2 questions on the Abu Garcia 5500C3 reel. First I bought some Carbontex drag washers from Smooth Drag and the carbon drag washer fits snug in the bottom of the brass washer gear. It is snug enough that it will not turn by hand. Does that matter or will the washer above it just spin on it? Second I have see an article on how to supertune the drag system. It involves polishing the washers and all the parts that the drag washers come in contact with. It makes sense that if the were polished the drag would be smoother, has anybody done this and what do you think.

Thanks
Ramon

alantani

if the drag washers are a little tight inside the gear, it will not matter.  also, polishing the metal washers is not necessary.  the drags will be plenty smooth without.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RAM3

Thanks for the quick response Alan, Great website with alot of information.

Ramon

Pro Reel

If the carbontex disk is so tight that you have to push it in place, simply run some 120 or 150 grit sandpaper around the edge and blow it off. I buy carbontex disks from the list by sizes on Dawns site and then sand them to fit reels that do not have a kit available. The only reason that makes sense to polish the stainless plates would be if they were rough or had some corrosion on them.