New Halibut Rig...show-n-tell

Started by Steve-O, January 05, 2011, 07:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

New Halibut Rig for Christmas.

Since this post is primarily about the rod, I thought I would stick it under the new Fishing Rods section.

I bought it (..err..I mean Santa brought it) strictly because it's the most bang for the buck in a two piece travel rod of this type. I go annually to Southeast Alaska and prefer to carry my own gear. This one's for halibut, lingcod and rockfish. This summer's trip will tell if I got what I paid for or not. Before my trip I plan to give it a thorough kite flying test this spring with a large box kite.

The reel is by Omoto under the Pelagic Extreme branding and is an ST12-2 speed. The fighting belt is also sold by Pelagic Extreme and is quite comfy with the wide plate and 2 inch belt.

Here's what the retailer says about the rod: This rod was designed because of popular request.

The need to have a rod made for limited storage length in boats, transporting in vehicles and aboard airplanes was taken into consideration.

This rod meets these requirements without sacrificing strength and quality.

Rod meets IGFA Guidelines.

Guaranteed unconditionally for one year. No questions asked breakage or malfunction policy. We will repair or replace the rod.

The quality is superb, standing head and shoulders above other rods in this price range. This rod is a great buy for the money.

SPECIFICATIONS:

50 to 80 lb. class two piece rod.

All roller line guides.  5 guides including tip end.  Line stripper ( guide closest to reel ) is double roller to prevent line damage due to angle of line coming off reel. Tip end is double roller.  All other guides are single roller.

PRECISION BALL BEARING MOUNTED ROLLERS. Close tolerances and the bearing allow  silky smooth running and prevents line hang up between rollers and roller cages.  Most of the rods use a bushing system to mount the rollers witch are quite loose and do not perform as well. There is no rattle of rollers when shaken or tapped.

Rollers and bearings are stainless steel.

High Quality Sculptured EVA foregrip which allows much easier gripping and is less tiring. Smooth EVA handle.

Solid fiberglass blank.

Assembled Length - 70 inches.  Disassembled length is approximately 38 inches each part.

Coupling assembly is male on tip end - female on butt end. Male end is groved on the end to lock into place inside the female part. Threaded screw on cap on tip end screws onto the butt end locking the butt and tip together for additional strength and prevent the rod from coming apart.

Anodized aluminum reel seat and gimbal butt end. Gold seat hoods and gimbal. Double lock rings.

Steve-O

Bryan Young

Very nice.  That looks similar to the one that I say at Charkbait about 6 months ago.  Happy fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i just saw the charkbait travel rods.  both they and the okuma nomad travel rods would be great for a fly in/fly out trip.  this one looks like a winner as well.  please let us know how it works.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reinaard van der Vossen

Nice stuff :)

I just got myself a Q16-II reel which is very similar to the Q12 (in fact I can find no real significant distinctions)

I was planning a light rod but have no experience in this category of rods. Is the rod advised with the Q-12 reel by the salesman.

I'm opening up my Q-16 to see whether it needs addition of grease prior to fishing. I will take some pics if I can get my camera to work again or borrow another. Just opened it and first look is ok.

Steve-O

When I opened up my reel I found grease in all the right places EXCEPT on the drag washer. I took care of that and looked at the spool and other bearings. For now, I'm leaving them all factory greased and sealed. After the first saltwater session, I'll make any changes needed based on what I find.

The rod choice is strictly mine and is NOT the optimum match for the reel. I will be targeting Halibut in southeast Alaska where the species weigh in from 10 pound 'ping pong paddles' to 300 pound barn doors. I'll take a couple of different weight class rods to try out. This rod is similar to the charkbait travel rod offerings with the exception of the cost. Take off the front digit and it's getting close to what I paid. I'll post again once my area gets into the winds of spring and and I have the opportunity to hook a BIG kite to it.

Steve-O

Bryan Young

Hey Steve-O,

Where did you get your rod from so that others could check it out as well.

Mahalos,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Steve-O

Bryan,

Being a moderator yourself, I suppose you'd be able to answer this. Is it OK to post the link? I'm not 100 percent on the forum policy about doing so.

I'm not affiliated in any way with them. Nor do I get commission or discounts or any other such perks. I will say I'm a VERY satisfied repeat customer. I can post a direct link or just give the name and those interested can do the legwork.

Let me know either way so I'll be in compliance with the forum policy.

Steve-O

PS-I watched the charkbait video and noticed that the screw together joining system that they use is identical to my rod down to the gimbaled aluminum insert that keeps the rod aligned when assembled. Charkbait mentions the joint systems are NOT for sale to rod builders and are proprietary. Could be the same manufacturer?
What would be really nice is if I could suggest my source to offer an acid wrapped (spiral-mounted-around-the-blank-non-roller-guides for those who don't know 'acid wrap')  two piece rod in various weight classes at  his amazing low prices.

Bryan Young

Hi Steve-O,

You are more than welcome to post links.  If you are affiliated, just say so, so that we are all clear about who is who, and there are no misrepresentations by yourself or the products.

With that said, we do not allow just plain bashing of products, persons or thier opinions.  Comments of a product, good or bad, can be posted based on your personal experiences.

This is an open form to help one another without bias.  This is one of the reasons Alan doesn't have any web sponsors.

Post away, and again, if you are affiliated, just say so.

Happy posting, and thank you for your consideration towards this site and forum.

Bryan

Steve-O

Bryan,

thanks for the clarification on the site policies about links.

On bashing...just not my style.

that being said.....here is the direct link to Davis Big Game Rod and Reel

http://stores.ebay.com/DavisRodReel?_rdc=1

Again...no affiliation with them other than being a customer. Vaughn is pleasant to do business with.  His prices will floor you. He just added 'slick-butt' rods to his line that I'll be buying. If you go to the store front you can see the categories and find two piece rods easier than going sequentially through his listings.

I also just emailed him about possibly offering an acid wrapped, two piece travel rod. We'll see what happens. Or I may just get some of his two piece spinning rods and re-wrap the guides myself.

Steve-O

Norcal Pescador

All I can say is ......WOW!!

The rollers look like Aftco - if they are, SWEET!
I have just found my next rod.  ;D ;D

Thanks, Steve-O
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Fishead

Sorry to say,those are NOT aftco guides.Look to be a copy,if ball bearing they might be decent.As far as I know,aftco only makes the ball bearing guides in the wind on or bigfoot guides,which those are not.looks like a nice rod though.Good luck with it.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Steve-O

Norcal and Fishead,

You're BOTH right!

They DO look like Aftco ... and they are NOT Aftco but copies. I'll take one apart this evening and post some close up shots of the parts to see how the bearings look.
Here's what the retailer says from above post.

"PRECISION BALL BEARING MOUNTED ROLLERS. Close tolerances and the bearing allow  silky smooth running and prevents line hang up between rollers and roller cages.  Most of the rods use a bushing system to mount the rollers witch(sp) are quite loose and do not perform as well. There is no rattle of rollers when shaken or tapped.

Rollers and bearings are stainless steel."

They could be junk OR fairly decent. I'm going to torture test them to find out.

Steve-O

Steve-O

And here are some macro images of the rod bearings, guides, wraps and reel seat locks. It has a double roller line stripper guide and tip top; the others being single roller guides.

The ID label.

The first guide.

A wrapped guide.

Bearing parts.

The tip top.

The reel seat locks.

Steve-O

Bryan Young

Thank Steve-O.

Wow, real bearings.  Never seen that before, but I rarely take my roller guides apart.

Steve-O

I just looked at the real McCoy aftco guide sets. Starting at $100 to $475 not including the tiptop.
This rod was like $70 shipping included. No, I'm not discouraged, I'll fish it hard and not worry about scratches, dings or boat rash. ;D ;D ;D

Steve-o the Frugal One