Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting

Started by johndtuttle, August 11, 2015, 06:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I just noticed that there's one of these in my garage. My son must've brought one home to add to the collection.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mahfudzmn

Hey John, what a great piece you've written and I only just found it. None of this new Toro Beast or WM 60 or LJ4 had visited my workshop, sadly :(

I haven't visited here a while and just recently found this thread while looking for an info for modifications on the Toro Beast since a client said he ordered drag clicker for this reel from Pure Fishing. Has anyone any knowledge about adding a drag clicker to the Toro Beast?

It took me a while to digest what was really going on. I looked through the photos of the reels I've serviced and only after that I had the lightbulb moment! Hahaha silly me, thanks for pointing it out quite clearly. I also think that having none of the drag plates keyed to the drive shaft helps minimize the binding effect too. At first I thought Shimano had some reels with the IAR sleeve keyed to the drag plates, then the sleeve is not keyed to the drive shaft and the plate is keyed to the drive shaft. It's also unique to find the common 'drive shaft bearing' now placed on the IAR sleeve instead.

With the reel having a semi-synchronized levelwind (since the levelwind gear is tied to the main gear), in theory the line would remain synced to the levelwind when fish is pulling out the line until it passes the point where it last 'synchronized', this point being the end of the cast where you hit the fish. That means if the line goes further out than this point, the line guide and the line of the spool could start moving in opposite ways. I just hope it doesn't happen much and the levelwind system will hold and not break...Several previous gen Daiwa baitcasters had this configuration

Anyways John, I don't think I'm the only person who read your piece and thinks I gotta have one now hahaha

johndtuttle

Quote from: mahfudzmn on March 11, 2017, 07:20:57 PMHey John, what a great piece you've written and I only just found it. None of this new Toro Beast or WM 60 or LJ4 had visited my workshop, sadly :(

I haven't visited here a while and just recently found this thread while looking for an info for modifications on the Toro Beast since a client said he ordered drag clicker for this reel from Pure Fishing. Has anyone any knowledge about adding a drag clicker to the Toro Beast?

It took me a while to digest what was really going on. I looked through the photos of the reels I've serviced and only after that I had the lightbulb moment! Hahaha silly me, thanks for pointing it out quite clearly. I also think that having none of the drag plates keyed to the drive shaft helps minimize the binding effect too. At first I thought Shimano had some reels with the IAR sleeve keyed to the drag plates, then the sleeve is not keyed to the drive shaft and the plate is keyed to the drive shaft. It's also unique to find the common 'drive shaft bearing' now placed on the IAR sleeve instead.

With the reel having a semi-synchronized levelwind (since the levelwind gear is tied to the main gear), in theory the line would remain synced to the levelwind when fish is pulling out the line until it passes the point where it last 'synchronized', this point being the end of the cast where you hit the fish. That means if the line goes further out than this point, the line guide and the line of the spool could start moving in opposite ways. I just hope it doesn't happen much and the levelwind system will hold and not break...Several previous gen Daiwa baitcasters had this configuration

Anyways John, I don't think I'm the only person who read your piece and thinks I gotta have one now hahaha

The Penn Fathom LP reel is essentially the same reel. Still my pick for most refined in this class of ~3-400 sized reels.

-John