1st 50 of the season!!!

Started by STRIPER LOU, August 14, 2015, 10:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Tide wasn't going to be great this morning but I was itchin to go and figured I'd get the last 45 min to an hour before the change. I usually have the place to myself for the first hour and that was the case again today.
I could see juvenile bunker breaking the surface before sunrise and thought to myself, that's a good sign. Marked a few fish on the first pass but with all the bait around I expected to see more. Got over the boulder piles and marked a couple of good ones. Several more passes and nothing. Brought the homemade Slope Head swimmer in to remove some weed and
covered the plug with some bunker oil and let it back out again over the boulders.
Was just about to turn and go over the second set of rocks and got nailed. Trouble getting the rod out of the holder and I new this was a good fish. Solid, deep, powerful runs. I was really having trouble getting this fish to budge! A couple of times I could hear the line singing and new I just couldn't put any more pressure on her. Using the boat I got her away from the rocks and into deeper water and started to make some progress. About 20/25 min later I get a look. Big, big fish. At that point she rolled on the top, was pretty much spent and got her into the net easily. Went to lift her over the side and it was a bit of a struggle. Took a few quick pics and gave her a quick weigh on the digital and was a shade over 50 lbs. Back over the side and dragged her around slowly but just couldn't get her to pop. When the water starts to get this warm it can be tough to revive the big ones. I guess that was the only disappointing part of the morning. Caught 2 more in the 25 lb range and called it quits. Back at the dock by 7. About 2 weeks ago a charge of big fish came into Montauk. I was hoping some would make it into our part of the sound but they usually end up on the SW corner of Block Is.  I do fish that area but it gets very stressful at night. There's so many boats out there it looks like the city of lights and the guys get a bit crazy.
Sorry you had to look at my ugly mug in the picture and as you can see I'm having a little trouble holding her up. As usual had my pizza for breakfast, washed it down with gator aid and headed home. A short but a great day!

ChileRelleno

Wow, dats a big Striper, very nice catch.
She didn't make it, it happens with any fish, how will she be for the table?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Steve-O

WOW!

Super deluxe Striper, Lou! 

A 50 is a dream fish for most anybody.

Glad you shared this one with us.

Steve

Shark Hunter

Holy Cow Lou! :o
That one looks as big as you. Good Job buddy. Like John said, It happens. It is the Nature of the Beast.
Congrats! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice fish Lou! was that tool that got her to the boat a Penn?...Awesome!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Chile, the big ones eat fine! The fillets are over 3 to 4" thick and people have a tendency to overcook them and dry them out. I just fillet the fillet 2 or 3 times to thin them down for cooking and they're great.

Daron, it was a big girl and  she whipped my butt! I'm draggin tonite! Talked to one of the charter captain's and he said the same thing. When the water gets warm its is definitely tougher to revive them.

Sal, The tool was certainly a penn.  The 113h is the go to reel on my boat. I always have at least 4 rods with 113h's set up at all times. For jigging I use a tld star shimano and the spinner is a btl4000. Even when fishing by myself I may have as many as 8 rods on board. If one goes down for any reason, I never re-rig, I just pick up the next one in line. Ya know, its just a form of insanity!
Thanks all and have a great evening.
...............Lou

Reel 224

Lou; You are killing me and I can't get out there to fish. Ive been chomping at the bit to get out on the pier here but due to health issues I'm unable right now and it looks like Ill lose this season all together >:( Ill take Ruth out maybe this week end, but I can't fish because of restrictions. Great fish Lou Congratulations!!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Doug

Wow Lou  I think your my idol real nice fish and nice try on the save. I have had that same problem releasing fish in warm water, I suppose its less oxygen but not sure   Doug

newport

Take me with you!

Beautiful fish. As long as it doesn't go to waste, then I wouldn't feel bad. I threw back fish that probably wouldn't have made it. Also, I agree with you that the big fish aren't bad tasting. I actually think they have a little more flavor , while the small ones are bland tasting. Either way, stripers aren't really my favorite eating fish. I prefer flounder, kingfish, and tog. Just my opinion of course. I should call you the Striper King from now on.

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rancanfish

Wow, just wow! Congrats.

I caught my first striper of the year, 16 inches, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Wow that's a beauty.  Congratulations.

Reel 224

Lou; Thank you so much for you thoughtful words, it is very much appreciated. You are the type of angler that I want to be and one that is a honor to the sport.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

That fish is a beauty Lou.  Thanks for the photo.  Joe get well.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on August 15, 2015, 05:57:53 PM
That fish is a beauty Lou.  Thanks for the photo.  Joe get well.  Dominick

As long as I have you to bust Ba##$ with Ill do just fine. ;D ;)