Accurate BX400N - lever won't move when spool shaft is secured with e-clips

Started by Jon_Kol, August 15, 2015, 05:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

Hi!

As mentioned in my other post regarding this reel, it was pretty much sent to me it a couple of small plastic bags. I've just replaced the two spool bearings (that were rusted inside and did not move), and putting the reel back together goes flawless until I secure each side of the spool shaft with the E-clips that are meant to be there.

What happens then, is that it's impossible to move the lever from Free to engaged position. When trying to move it from Free, I can see the tension cam (part #27 in this schematic: https://www.accuratefishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/bx.ipb_1.pdf) being pushed outwards, but due to the E-clips on both sides of the spool shaft, there isn't enough room for the shaft to move. It seems that either the left hand side E-clip or the right hand side E-clip is preventing the spool shaft to move as it should, it's just too tight.

Now, I've followed this excellent tutorial (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8425.0) to make sure that I wasn't missing out on something and it looks like I've done everything right on this first attempt after installing the new spool bearings. HOWEVER... it is obvious that the reel I was sent, is missing the two washers shown here:

Is this what's causing the lever on the reel that I have here to be halted from leaving the Free position? To my logic, it would seem that adding these two washers would make the spool shaft movement even more reduced? Or have I been sitting too long right next to the open ReelX bottle? :D

Inputs, please?

The spool shaft moves freely, there are no longer any stuck spool bearings, free spool is good, and I'm able to secure the E-clips just as the tutorial shows. The tension cam seems to be working fine after I was able to seperate the two parts that were stuck together earlier on, and the #25 Tension Cam Track sits exactly like the one in the tutorial. Still, no way it's possible to engage the lever.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

your correct don't worry about the missing washers. my bx-500n also don't have these washers. if your spool assembly is correct i'm thinking the issue is in the cam assembly. just as AlanT said "disassemble and assemble again" and most of the time that will resolve the issue...gotta go to basspro and buy me a new toy. "I'LL BE BACK"...

alantani

when the preset knob is too tight, the lever can be nearly impossible to push forward.  the preset knob has to be backed all the way off.  if that doesn't work, then try removing a washer or two to make more room.  you can grind down the cam, but that is a whole different discussion to address a whole different problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jon_Kol

Quote from: alantani on August 15, 2015, 11:32:27 PM
when the preset knob is too tight, the lever can be nearly impossible to push forward.  the preset knob has to be backed all the way off.  if that doesn't work, then try removing a washer or two to make more room.  you can grind down the cam, but that is a whole different discussion to address a whole different problem. 

Thanks, this is exactly what I've been pondering all night.. this is a reel that's seen some battle damage, and the preset knob is very tight no matter how I try to make it work its way back and forth on the threads.

Can it be that a new preset knob + cam could do the trick? I've been sitting here now, hours on end, and tried everything to see if there's something that I've missed. But the same thing happens: As soon as the E-clip is attached to the left side of the spool shaft, it seems that the shaft becomes too tight to address the lever when the right side E-clip is attached as well. I can see the preset knob being pushed outward just a bit, then it's stuck. As in really stuck.

Is it possible to get the preset knob and cam as spare parts? Does anyone know what it will cost?

Jon_Kol

Oh, and there are no washers to remove.. this reel is missing the two washers that are suppose to be located on the left side of the spool shaft. I will go through my stuff here tomorrow and see if I have some thinner E-clips, maybe that might be just enough.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i read somewhere, maybe here or accurate's site that if you turn the preset knob counter clockwise(loosening) too much something is going to break. maybe at one point somebody did this accidentally. well let's hope not so you don't have to buy the parts. btw is the cast control set at minimum?

Jon_Kol

Quote from: alantani on August 16, 2015, 12:19:01 AM
is the cam properly seated in the lever?

I was a bit worried about that myself, but having looked at the tutorial over and over again, I can't see much difference between this:

And this, taken from the tutorial:

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Jon_Kol

Quote from: MeL B on August 16, 2015, 06:56:07 PM
how about the other side? is part 27 seated properly on part 25?

Every input is appreciated. I've tried several ways with the parts, same thing happens - the lever is stopped by the E-clips making the shaft too tight. If I remove the right hand side E-clip as a test, the lever moves freely as it should.

I've emailed a man at Accurate now, hopefully he'll be able to give me info on parts, prices etc.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

"Every input is appreciated"

i like to believe you but sorry i don't... ::)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Jon_Kol

After a few e-mails, it's been decided that the service tech at Accurate will send me a new preset assembly for the reel. Most likely some of the threads are damaged, making it impossible to make the preset screw go deep enough. There's no visible damage to the threads, but the gut feeling is that there's something there that the eye can't see, but the fingers feel.

We'll give it a shot and see, hopefully this is what breaks the case. It's the only piece missing from getting a rough reel fishable once more.