the new guy - 8/13/2015

Started by alantani, August 16, 2015, 12:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

pretty much the same routine as the last few trips. only we started later this time.  decided late wednesday night to go fishing on thursday morning, so i told the guys to show up and 8am.  joey arrived first and we got the boat hooked up, then the new guy showed up 5 minutes later.  we sent him out for ice, chips and sandwiches, then loaded up everything and everybody and headed out to half moon bay.  we ran down to san gregorio at 4600 rpm and 30 knots, stopping once on some birds to jig up a half dozen jack smelt, and dropped in at the triangle of death.  i used my favorite p-lime laser minnow and stuck one rock cod after another.  joey concentrated on lings, and the new guy was bouncing around between plastics and jigs.  joey picked up a pair of lings using live jacksmelt.  i picked up a sea trout that suddenly loaded up and landed a ling.  we basically limited out on rockfish in 2 hours.  

we took one last move, needing only one more rockfish.  our new guy, justin, had a double hook rig, so i told him to bait up with two whole squid.  he dropped straight down and immediately loaded up with a vermillion (6 pounds on a scale) and a ling cod (11 pounds on a scale), all on the same drop!

the hulicat came in just as we were finishing up.  we headed up to the harbor and fished around the buoys for salmon but caught only rockfish.  long day, but lots of fun!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

Hey Alan, great report! Justin has the luck on his side apparently.

Curious how you rig a Lazer minnow for rockies. 3 way?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

straight tie to the spectra.  no stretch, lots of fun!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!