A dream realized

Started by Prof. Salt, August 17, 2015, 10:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

I guess I shouldn't mention that on the paddle back to shore when air temps were around 95, I got off the kayak and floated for a while to cool off. No white sharks around here, and with clear water there's not much danger of the local gray suits mistaking me for a fish. I wouldn't do that in the Pacific, but our sharks are pretty well behaved unless there is a bait ball in the area.

David Hall

you are the great white!
Keep on stroking!

broadway

Well done! You must be in pretty good shape to put that kinda mileage on the arms and back. I kayak surfed for a while and it takes its toll when getting beat up by the waves and then that long ride back.
You won't soon forget that experience... good stuff!
Enjoy your meal,
Dom
PS- I noticed you were wet but assumed you yak'ed out in the surf. You're a brave man for jumping in out there. I quit doing that kinda stuff since Lucy (the great white) makes frequent visits around here.
We swim off the boat off Coney Island, but not in the deep blue. ;)

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on August 21, 2015, 01:07:41 AM

PS- I noticed you were wet but assumed you yak'ed out in the surf. You're a brave man for jumping in out there. I quit doing that kinda stuff since Lucy (the great white) makes frequent visits around here.
We swim off the boat off Coney Island, but not in the deep blue. ;)
Swimming inshore at Coney Island you have to swim around the rubber eels.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Ah, yes, the not so elusive Coney Island white fish. Never fun when one of those gets spotted. :o
Dom

Prof. Salt

Nobody has yet seen a GW around here, but last summer I was rushed by a 12-13 foot Mako that was coming in fast to eat a fish that I was trying to wrestle aboard. My fish suddenly laid right against the kayak and when I looked out, my jaw dropped as I looked right down the nose of the largest shark I have ever seen.  It was closing fast but about 15 feet away it raised its nose slightly (evidently it looked up and realized I was on the kayak), and it quickly turned aside, gliding past the kayak and giving me a view that has haunted me ever since. I quickly lowered the fish 20 feet so she could come back and take it, but the shark didn't show itself again. I gently brought it aboard, removed the hooks and got a measurement, then released it and left the area. Thank goodness sharks are pretty smart and don't prefer people, because there was nowhere to go if she had wanted me ...and I knew it!

Shark Hunter

Professor,
I am nowhere near an experienced Kayaker as yourself. I only use it to get my baits out where the sharks are. When I get to the deep blue, I get nervous and just try to drop my bait and get back to shore. I know what is out there in the gulf. Whites, Hammers, Tigers, Lemons. All right under me.
3 to 400 yards tops and right back. Its a necessity to achieve my goal.
Keep those Videos coming. I enjoy them. ;D
Life is Good!