Penn Seaboy Model 85

Started by Bill B, August 21, 2015, 03:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I will apologize now for no pictures, it was a rush job, a co-worker stopped by with a Seaboy model 85, with a brown plastic spool, brown side plates, bronze  pinion gear with a steel main, and green beehive handle knobs....but what surprised me was the handle bolt....it was a slotted bolt not the typical Penn bolt that Alan's wrench fits....inside it was pristine gears were sharp enough to cut me and the drag washers were asbestos (?) I changed the drags and greased it up, but Highly suggested he put it on a shelf to collect dust because there are more capable reels and his might be valuable....any guesses on age and whether to make it a shelf queen.....thanks in advance for any clues on this one.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Not valuable, though it may be collectable.  The slotted handle assembly screws were typically used on these lower end models, and although all prewar 85s had the plastic spools, some later models did as well.  The handle style suggests late 1960s production, though handles are often changed out.  If the reel had no part numbers on any of the parts, it was pre 1950/early 50s.  The most desirable 85s are NOS in box, trade account reels, and those with atypical or different collered side plates and/or spools.  Prewar 85s should have stippled  plates, and wooden handle knob.  The sharp teeth on the gear(s) are simply indicative of excessive wear.  Value is likely only $10-$15 or so.  If it is prewar stippled, with brown marbled plates, and spool and non-numbered..I would keep it stock and put an era correct wooden handle on it. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

Thank you my brother for the info...I will pass it along.....he will be using it for salmon jigging here in the Sacramento River this year....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!