The Penn bug has bitten me

Started by Reel 224, August 21, 2015, 06:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I started a project on my Penn Surfmaster 200 some months ago, first by cleaning according to the Alan Tani way and then there was the Bryan young 5 stack drag system, Then it was an AccuFrame in Ice blue and a new spool in Charcoal from Vintage off shore Tackle, next came the SS gear sleeve from Scott"s and a set of SS Gears from my fellow New Jearseyin Doug That so graciously donated to me, next was the SS dog from Lee, and finally but not lastly a new heavy duty SS spacer from Black Pearl (Alan C.) So many players in the group here at Alan Tani Reel Repair that have made this a pleasant project while offering daily help with questions that I had and good hearted advice. I'm bitten by the bug but there is so much more to it then a joy for the hobby. It's the camaraderie here, the willingness of people to help such as Alan T., and Alan C. who called today just to help me out in choosing the right parts for my next project and spending 30 minutes on the phone explaining many helpful hints on the Penn Reels.

Guys Like Sal who have offered his assistance when he thought I may need it without me asking, Keith who sent me parts and spare reels for my RU Mer and Fred who has been there for me as a friend as well as adviser on how to repair my old Pfluger Capital 1988. Yes I'm bitten by the Alan Tani Group of wonderful people. Thanks to everyone here not just those that I have mentioned.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

foakes

Fortunately, Joe --

There is no known cure for your disease.

You may acquire every reel ever manufactured -- and there will always be the lure of another one, or a better one.

That next acquisition will only give temporary relief to your symtoms.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred I'm doing what I love, working with my hands and with something that I have loved since I was a boy. And now it's with people that I can relate to and share the same experiences with, also I am blessed with a wife who loves fishing and show interest in what I do. This has been a dream of mine for a long time, to be able to do something that I truly love and the added joy is being a member here.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on August 21, 2015, 08:13:44 PM
There is no known cure for your disease...

Truer words were never spoken! I just finished putting together a vintage Senator 4/0 HL --for which I have absolutely no need-- out of (mostly) leftover parts... madness! But I'm still totally pleased with myself.   :D

Next up? A vintage Jigmaster 500 --for which I have ABSOLUTELY no need-- out of (mostly) leftover parts...

Ssssombody STOP me!!  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Reel 224

Aiala: We only pass by this place once, and what you and I and all the other wonderful people here are fortuitously blessed.

Joe

handi2

I can remember taking my great grandmother's old clocks apart when I was very little. I couldn't get them back together but it satisfied my curiosity.

Now I'm almost 62 and wake up with sore hands ready to get into something else.

It is addicting..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

I have been a member here for all of 10 months, I only wanted to pay Alan T to service my reels, in one face to face meeting with him he convinced me to join up here and at least attempt to service my own.  In this short time I have serviced all 20+ reels I had when I started here.  Now I have 50 + reels, all serviced, upgraded, hot rodded,  and tanked. ready to fish, I mean really how many reels can I fish?  I go out at least once a week on the beautiful pacific but still I could fish a different reel every time.  I think I'm done!!!!!!!
Except for the squidder magnum I picked up that could benefit from some SS upgrades.  And then there is the beautiful gold jigmaster magnum, poor thing is bone stock inside, oh and there's the sexy black jigmaster magnum, it's all stock inside too, and can't forget my 9/0 that's boxed up with Toms new black frame and BP gear set, I still need a new SS sleeve and a set of Adams inserts and CB handle, But after that I'm done. maybe? Did anyone else see that ice blue accurized 9/0 on flea bay?  No I'm not going there!  I quit, I'm done after I get those four reel projects completed I mean, probably just one more I forgot I picked up a sweet little 200 that needs attention.  It is the dark side, and there is no cure.  There should be an ATA (Alan Tani Annonymous). 12 step program.  I think I'll start a new thread for that?

Shark Hunter

I wish it was only the Penn Bug. Then there is the Daiwa Bug and the Dreaded Everol Big Bug!
Life is Good!

Aiala

Did anyone else see that ice blue Accurized 9/0 on flea bay?[/quote]

Oh, yeah... and if my budget had allowed, it would've been mine.   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

SteveL

Quote from: David Hall on August 21, 2015, 10:45:16 PM
There should be an ATA (Alan Tani Annonymous). 12 step program. 

Hi, I'm Steve, and I have a fishing tackle problem.

alantani

since daron mentioned everol, you know, one interesting company is quantum/finnor.  they're in oklahoma.  seriously, tulsa, oklahoma.  ok, not to make fun of the midwest, but tulsa is not the first place you would think of when someone mentions salt water fishing.  it's just that they make some great reels.  it would be fun to get out there and tour the place. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

have to agree with the boss, i bought the cabo CSP80 PTSE and they heard Alan H.

gstours

its reels for some men and shoes with some women and vise versa!   What ever satisfies the need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shark Hunter

Simmer Down Gary. :D
Everol has been building reels since 1958. They are the Ultimate Tank.
As big as one too. ;)
When you can lay claim to the biggest conventional reel ever made.
That gets my attention.
Not that bigger is always better, but I think this is the exception.
Ok, I'm done now.
Life is Good!