ABU Revo - after long use in saltwater

Started by Jon_Kol, August 25, 2015, 09:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: Jon_Kol on September 01, 2015, 08:56:51 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on September 01, 2015, 08:08:16 PM
Quote from: Jon_Kol on September 01, 2015, 06:22:17 PM
Gaaah I feared those answers. :D Guess it's back to pulling and turning again..

You need to get yourself a small bearing puller.

Joe

Never thought about that, actually. Can you recommend a version which handles the sort of bearings that we reel-heads often encounter? :)

You might try http://www.mscdirect.com or Harbor Freight for a start, maybe some of the others here can help. Look at this one at MSC  #00077305

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Jon_Kol

Hi guys!

Just thought I'd give you a quick update on this reel. Yesterday, I sent it by mail to the owner. I was handed this reel at the start of August, so it's taken a while.

All in all, this is what was replaced:

* Star Wheel drive (the threads were busted)
* Clicker Spring + Clicker Spring Holder (corroded to pieces)
* Kick Lever - was snapped off (thanks to Alan Tani, who sent me the last one he had for this kind of reel)
* Replaced the drag washers with Carbontex via Smooth Drag
* Replaced the bearing situated beneath the Main Gear Shaft (all the other bearings were good!! :O)
* Spool Break Cap

That's about it, I guess. Here's a few of the maaaany pictures I took during the service.

Here's how it looked after the job was done:

It was really nice getting this reel to function again, and a happy owner is looking forward to using it again come spring 2016. These days my tables are full of reels, so it's out with one reel, in with the next. :)

johndtuttle

Great work Jon!

Abu has touted for years the quality of their bearings and that so many were rehabable is a testiment there being some truth to that. Honestly it is remarkable that the reel survived at all.  ;)