Original Stradic 1000

Started by Rancanfish, August 26, 2015, 07:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Please,please,please tell me parts are available!   1992 reel.

I have no idea what I was thinking, deciding to work on my old Stradic 1000.  The drag consists of an oily felt washer, so I cleaned out the spool pocket and set it aside.  Then decided I would lube the bail trip assembly, removed two screws,slid the cover back...........boing!
My daughter found the part described as the bail spring guide(B)(#2275), over by the fridge. I found a small nylon washer that doesn't appear on the schematic, but fits in a little niche,stuck to the front of my tee shirt. And the bail spring guide (A). Oh nooo the spring is gone....(#1509).
I literally microscopically tore down my reel work station tool by tool, rag by rag, parts bin by bin, checked every surface of the chair I was on, wiped the entire table, then the floor. Moved the fridge out, wiped again. Dragged the floor and table with a magnet....nothing.
Two hours and no spring. Last time I lost a Penn dog spring I found it at the opposite end of the table. But this spring is bigger than that, so it may be anywhere.  I was shocked at the power of the 'ping' noise when parts were bouncing around.
Anyway, here I go looking thru the cabinets for another reel for fishing tomorrow.
Have I ruined a perfectly good reel? Obsolete is all I keep thinking.

UPDATED POST BELOW; (All part #'s in this post are wrong. 1997,not 1992 reel).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 26, 2015, 07:31:31 PM
Please,please,please tell me parts are available!   1992 reel.

I have no idea what I was thinking, deciding to work on my old Stradic 1000.  The drag consists of an oily felt washer, so I cleaned out the spool pocket and set it aside.  Then decided I would lube the bail trip assembly, removed two screws,slid the cover back...........boing!
My daughter found the part described as the bail spring guide(B)(#2275), over by the fridge. I found a small nylon washer that doesn't appear on the schematic, but fits in a little niche,stuck to the front of my tee shirt. And the bail spring guide (A). Oh nooo the spring is gone....(#1509).
I literally microscopically tore down my reel work station tool by tool, rag by rag, parts bin by bin, checked every surface of the chair I was on, wiped the entire table, then the floor. Moved the fridge out, wiped again. Dragged the floor and table with a magnet....nothing.
Two hours and no spring. Last time I lost a Penn dog spring I found it at the opposite end of the table. But this spring is bigger than that, so it may be anywhere.  I was shocked at the power of the 'ping' noise when parts were bouncing around.
Anyway, here I go looking thru the cabinets for another reel for fishing tomorrow.
Have I ruined a perfectly good reel? Obsolete is all I keep thinking.

Not to worry. The exact part may not be available but you can easily make other bail springs work. This is a part that is easily cut to length by finding a larger one etc.

Very easily made if you have to as well.

A little challenge, but nothing that cannot be overcomve  ;).

Rancanfish

I took apart the other 1000 I had, just to see what I was looking for.

I'm absolutely blown away I can't find it.  Its 21.5 mm long (over an inch  ;D).  It looks like a ball point pen spring, but it's really stiff.

I have been on my knees and lying on my side with a flashlight off and on all afternoon.  I wiped down counters, looked on the stove and top of the fridge, even got my mini blower and blew everything toward the corner of the kitchen. Nothing. Yes this is making me crazy. I then tore into the bail arms of 8 old cheapey spinning reels I tried to sell before as a package.  Most had a cheap bail spring arrangement that is completely different. Took a bunch of parts off and tossed 'em.

I wanted to use them tomorrow fishing for lake stripers again.  Spent so much time messing around I'm gonna cancel now.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 26, 2015, 11:08:36 PM
I took apart the other 1000 I had, just to see what I was looking for.

I'm absolutely blown away I can't find it.  Its 21.5 mm long (over an inch  ;D).  It looks like a ball point pen spring, but it's really stiff.

I have been on my knees and lying on my side with a flashlight off and on all afternoon.  I wiped down counters, looked on the stove and top of the fridge, even got my mini blower and blew everything toward the corner of the kitchen. Nothing. Yes this is making me crazy. I then tore into the bail arms of 8 old cheapey spinning reels I tried to sell before as a package.  Most had a cheap bail spring arrangement that is completely different. Took a bunch of parts off and tossed 'em.

I wanted to use them tomorrow fishing for lake stripers again.  Spent so much time messing around I'm gonna cancel now.

A Stradic FJ spring will work probably.

Rancanfish

I'm sure someday I'll find another, but............frustrated as all get out.

I even sat in the chair and tossed my other one on the floor. It looks huge sitting there!  ;D ;D   I just can't fathom how it can remain hidden.  I've been going over everything like a car detailer.

Anybody know a Shimano guru that knows parts interchangeability?
The Shimano customer service guy just told me they don't have parts.
I'm pretty sure that's B.S.  Who's going to do a redesign starting with a spring?  Anyway. Thanks John for trying to help.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 27, 2015, 12:01:41 AM
I'm sure someday I'll find another, but............frustrated as all get out.

I even sat in the chair and tossed my other one on the floor. It looks huge sitting there!  ;D ;D   I just can't fathom how it can remain hidden.  I've been going over everything like a car detailer.

Anybody know a Shimano guru that knows parts interchangeability?
The Shimano customer service guy just told me they don't have parts.
I'm pretty sure that's B.S.  Who's going to do a redesign starting with a spring?  Anyway. Thanks John for trying to help.

Take a hard look at the stradic fj schematic. pretty sure you can order a spring for the same size reel or so and be ok or make it work.

Shark Hunter

Randy,
I'm Sorry for all your troubles.
It will show up.
My method of disappearing parts is to have plenty of spares.
A few days later. My Wife or son will find it. ;)
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

My son came home and thought he could find it quick. He gave up after about 40 minutes.

A positive is the kitchen is super clean!   ;D  And I guess I know to disassemble spinners in a bag.

MarkT

If it's not on the floor where is it? Did it land on you and stick to your clothes? In your pocket? In the chair? Your toolbox?  I usually work on reels at my kitchen table on a towel. The table is glass and the floor Pergo, so I hear springs land.  If I don't hear it, well, I have some ideas on where to look!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

Mark, yep kitchen table on a towel covered tray, solid oak floors.

I even went thru my pockets with a magnet!  I heard the bad boy hit, or the nylon bail guide anyway.

And as it turns out, I was way off on the year. These are 1997 1000fe's.  I actually had the original boxes in a cabinet still.  So all my part #'s I got off an older on-line schematic were wrong. I have a spring coming from ebay that may or may not work.

I did find the right parts for the bail assembly from JDL Treasures on Ebay.  That guy has provided almost every hard to find part I've needed.  I haven't figured out how to get combined shipping from him yet, lol, so I pay a lot of shipping charges. 

Now I wait.....

foakes

Randy --

Would one of these work?

Slightly over 3/4" long.

Found these in my old Shimano loose parts bins for OFSR reels.

Let me know, and I can send it out tomorrow morning -- N/C.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Thanks Fred, but as I noted somewhere here it is 21.5mm which is longer.

I'm sure by next week end I'll be laughing about it.  I have learned a bit about how spinners work by spending so much time looking up parts.

I am pretty happy right at this moment anyway, my wife informed me I'm only turning 61 next week, not 62 as I thought!  I just gained a year back, how cool is that?

foakes

Hey Randy --

A wise lady once told me:

"Age is only a number -- and mine is unlisted!"

Some folks are very old at 30 -- some folks are very young at 100...

Best,

Fred

Also, you are obviously OK with the spring you ordered -- but I have stetched these springs many times to accommodate the bail trip requirements.  1/4" is no problem whatsoever.  These are strong springs with tight coils.  Easy to do.
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

I'll keep it in mind young man!   ;D

I'll see what my ebay bid buys and hope it fits. If not I'll send a pm.

MarkT

I often say that when I was your age Pluto was a planet... But you're older than me so it doesn't work! I may be growing older but I refuse to grow up!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!