Ziplock vaccum bag food sealer?

Started by newport, September 02, 2015, 05:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Any thoughts on them for fish and food in general? I know FoodSaver has their own handheld vaccum sealer as well, would that be a better option or should I just get the regular vaccum sealer machine? Thanks in advance

Tiddlerbasher

I have used one of these for a few years:

http://www.fresherpack.co.uk/products/1/1/vacuum_sealer_-_eiffel_freshpack_pro/

It does the job very well - I use the long rolls -You can then make your bags any lenth you need ;)
Various size bags are readily available too.

I have stored fish in them for upto 3 years with no freezy burn :)

Stan

I've been using the Weston Pro 2300  for several years now, and will never by another foodsaver.

http://www.vacuumsealerland.com/weston-pro-2300-review/

Tiddlerbasher

Very nice Stan - but a different pay grade to mine :D

bluefish69

I have been using a Food Saver machine at least 5 yrs. Nothing gets freezer burned. I use both pre cut bags & long rolls both work great. The Gasket wore out once & I replaced it for a couple of bucks. Would buy another if I had to.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Reel 224

Like Mike, I also have been using the Food Saver and have been using it for years. I'm pleased with it and would recommend it as a home use vacuum sealer.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

AlasKen

I have been using some vacuum zip bags from Walmart with my foodsaver on fish and game as well as other items.  It is a bottom loading bag that has a tear off top that also has a zip lock feature.  I use it for packing stuff for the boat to keep it fresh.  Allows partial use without need another container.  It works well if repacking dehydrated items from a #10 can into individual servings to save a few bucks.  Ken     

Steve-O

Another + for the FoodSaver vacuum sealer. Yes, they are inexpensive and some people have had issues with theirs and got a bad taste from that.

2 tips for making them work well and last for years.

Wait the 20 seconds between sealings....even if you're doing a bulk qty of food.  It's not that long.

And keep the liquids out of the sealing  area or from getting sucked into the channel. One can pre-freeze whatever it is and then seal the bag with no problems.

I was irritated with mine a bit until I started doing these two things.  Now? my ever-ready bunny Food Saver is still cranking. I buy the rolls and cut to size.

I get to use an industrial/commercial chamber sealer in Alaska every year so I do know what a multi-thousand dollar unit is like. But the Food Saver does the job for my needs.

Great for de-bulking clothes for more room in a duffel, too.

bluefish69

The one that I have has a removable tray for liquids

Mike

David Hall

I burned up my 8 year old food saver and after watching for 4 yrs I recently found a good used chamber vac on CL.  Only been using it for a few months but already processed over 200 lbs of fish through it.  I have 6 fishermen boys and girls and my son and I hunt plus I like to buy whole or half hogs and process them myself so I figure I process around 1000 lbs of meat every year therefore I am able to justify spending more on my vacuum sealer, at least I have the boss Lady convinced of that!  This one popped up on CL used for 400 I offered 300 and seller accepted it, bags are much cheaper than FS Bags.

newport

Thanks everyone! I went to Target and bought a FoodSaver and a box of 8" custom length bags. They were on sale, so why not. If I need to upgrade later in the future, then I'll look into spending some more dough, lol. As much fishing as I do, I probably should have bought one a long time ago.

bluefish69

I get my Rolls & Bags from Food Saver. I signed up for their email & they always have sales. I buy a lot of food in bulk & use the sealer all the time before freezing. Never lost a piece of food to freezer burn.

Mike