Channel Islands...Report and couuple of pics

Started by Big Tim, September 03, 2015, 11:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Packing up, got a few hours of work in the morning then off to the Channel Islands overnighter then pier fishing & crabbing with my buddy...Wish me luck and hope to have some nice pics to add in a few days  ;D

TUFF trip...Lots of wind and a RUFF ride out. Around 1am it settled down enough for a couple hours of sleep. NO live bait except for some fingerlings, so we searched for Mackerel, we found some very large macks which meant we searched for more bait & searched for more bait, finally finding the right size we loaded up on them. At this point the Capt. Steve Virtue put us fishing some cut up squid in the shallows just to get us going on something other than bait. Lot's of undersized blues, a few keeper lings and a couple of Sheepheads , but at least it got us fishing. We then ventured out to the deeper water where the Yellowtail have been biting and were greeted by a huge chop, strong current and a stiff breeze. I knew at this point this would only be a rock cod trip >:( Back inside to the shallows we went (80-140'). I got my 10 rock fish (tossed about a dozen small ones) 4 keeper lings (gave 1 to a fellow fisherman) And then my spinner went off  ;D A short but strong run and then a long pull with no head shakes ? Not in Halibut water so my guess was a Sheephead, yup there she was in sight... 15lb +/- slug! But me and the decky Brian saw the big hole in the side of the mouth where my hook was  :o Going as easy as I could to get her up to gaff then POP goes the hook and away she goes back home  >:(  As a whole 30 anglers got full limits of Lings and rock fish with some very nice 15lb + Lings and Fat sheepheads.

What not to do is leave your camera and phone charger in the car...Very few pics...Sorry.

I hate climbing this mountain

Pacific Islander...75'...Tight galley, tight but comfortable bunk room and plenty of fishing space for 30...Would be much better for a 25 person charter

I believe Santa Rosa Island early AM

Very good breakfast sandwich

Some of the fillets...Gave a bunch to my buddy Daryl who lives in Oxnard...I was too tired to go crabbing, but had a nice visit with my ol' friend, fish tacos, cold beer and a shot or two or three of some Kracken Rum

Alto Mare

Good luck big guy. Grab that banana in the background in case you get hungry ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

theswimmer

Have a great time Big Tim.
Hope you have a square bottle in there somewhere ::)
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

AlasKen

MarkT

Long range boats all have bananas in the galley. I've never noticed an issue and they taste good. I've always assumed bananas being bad luck was started as an excuse for those with no skills!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Steve-O

It's only when you slip on a banana and bust your keister that you have bad luck.

So go kill 'em!

Best fishes!

Steve

Who's wishin he was fishin with ya.

AlasKen

I have heard it started because bananas give off a gas when they start to rot that cause other fruit  to rot as well.  Hence don't take bananas. Just what I read.  The opposite is limes.  Limes last a long time and even as they get old and hard the inside is stll good.  Hence lime and rum drinks.  Why I like tequila and limes.  Health food. 

Jeri

Apologies to Sal, but this might be a little lengthy!!!

Bananas being bad luck on boats goes back to the days of sailing ships, and the lack of suitable storage for vegetables to keep vitamin C in the diet to avoid scurvy.

So, the source of vitamin C was either lemons – favoured by French speaking nations, while Limes were favoured by the English speaking nations. Slight diversion – this is why the English got the name – Limeys.

Fact is that both these fruits could stand being seriously old, but still be usable as a source of vitamin C. Other fruits and vegetables would have long since perished, but the Limes would be shrivelled bullets, but still usable.

Bananas give of a gas during ripening, which attack all fruit and vegetables – even limes and lemons, and rot those other fruits very quickly. Hence the paranoia about having any bananas on a boat – it was a risk of contamination, and potential for sickness and possibly death.

The most paranoid guy I ever met about this issue was a skipper down in Miami, he would even strip his clients to make sure they weren't wearing 'Fruit of the Loom' clothes. Superstitions are a very powerful topic to sea going folks, and even in the 22nd century, folks are still as bad. Nearly all the common superstitions go back to the days of sailing ships, and a lot of common sayings as well.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jeri on September 06, 2015, 04:13:56 AM
Apologies to Sal, but this might be a little lengthy!!!

Bananas being bad luck on boats goes back to the days of sailing ships, and the lack of suitable storage for vegetables to keep vitamin C in the diet to avoid scurvy.

So, the source of vitamin C was either lemons – favoured by French speaking nations, while Limes were favoured by the English speaking nations. Slight diversion – this is why the English got the name – Limeys.

Fact is that both these fruits could stand being seriously old, but still be usable as a source of vitamin C. Other fruits and vegetables would have long since perished, but the Limes would be shrivelled bullets, but still usable.

Bananas give of a gas during ripening, which attack all fruit and vegetables – even limes and lemons, and rot those other fruits very quickly. Hence the paranoia about having any bananas on a boat – it was a risk of contamination, and potential for sickness and possibly death.

The most paranoid guy I ever met about this issue was a skipper down in Miami, he would even strip his clients to make sure they weren't wearing 'Fruit of the Loom' clothes. Superstitions are a very powerful topic to sea going folks, and even in the 22nd century, folks are still as bad. Nearly all the common superstitions go back to the days of sailing ships, and a lot of common sayings as well.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Jeri, you don't forget a thing do you? This explains why you're so sharp ;D. No apologies needed to me, as I told you many times before, I always enjoy you posts ;)
The explanation above makes perfect sense to me and I believe it.
Thanks for sharing my friend.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Nice boat, tuff trip, but would definitely go on the Pacific Islander again

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.