Near limit from shore.

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 08, 2015, 01:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

Not a lot of guys can do rockfish from shore, it took me many years to refine my game on it, but some days are better than others. Three more and I would have had a limit, and the big ones came on lures.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Dominick

Tony what does it take to catch rockfish from shore?  Good job.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

you must live near to a cliff to be rockfishing from shore..

guys on Aussy can get pelagic from the shore in few places down there

The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Nice catches!  I'm having rockfish and halibut tacos for lunch in five.  Smoked salmon with cream cheese on the side.

Counting the days - 12  to go - and I will be doing the same...plus off the kayak.

thanks for sharing.

Can you ID the grey-ish one? Is it a Blue?

the rockfish ninja

Steve-O it's a black rockfish, pretty common, not as tasty as the browns.

Steelfish there's plenty cliffs around but I don't fish from them, I'm too old & they're too scary for me to fish from. Out here (& where you're from) we lose members of our fishing family to the mighty ocean. I've never felt the risk was worth the reward so I learned how to do it at sea level.

"what does it take to catch rockfish from shore?" Well Dom, like steel fish says, you can do it from a cliff so you're high enough to cast it out to where most *THINK* the fish are, and yes that does work, but I cast a conventional well for distance & accuracy and mainly fish right at the shoreline. Here's my tips on the subject.
-Fish from safe areas.
-never take your eyes off the water or face away from it. I rig up, put on bait and secure fish always facing out & glancing at the waves.

(those 2 are the the golden *safety* rules, now the real tips.)

-Heavy braid line, minimum weight sinkers you can get away with, miracle thread on your bait, one hook dropper loop.
-Cast to rocks, structures, edge of kelp beds.
-incoming tides work best
-bait is seasonal, shrimp early summer, jacksmelt mid summer, squid late summer.
-swimbaits/lures work if you have open water near kelp or rocks.
-if one spot does not produce, move on.
-check bait impatiently, crabs are the enemy.
-When you get one on there is ONLY ONE THING TO DO, point the rod to 12 o'clock and crank yo azz off. If you try to play them and hold your rod out in front of you they are going into the rocks and not coming out. Gotta haul them babies in fast, I guess at that point it's less like fishing and just hauling them in. Only exception is a good size ling, from shore it's a war but mostly won by the angler.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Rancanfish

OK Dom, set the trip up.  Old guys rule the shoreline!   :D :D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.