Spool differences

Started by Rancanfish, September 11, 2015, 05:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

This is kind of a general surfmaster question so I posted here. 

I have a 150 that has two spools. One plastic and one aluminum.  The aluminum fits in the frame and works fine,...sort of.  The clicker gear is not the same height on the shaft, so it won't engage. It also has a weird habit of the spool stopping when the drag is loosened and the handle cranked. The al. spool is not marked. Over all shaft length looks to be the same.  I'm pretty sure the spool is incorrect.

My question for those in the know...any idea what spool this could be? The plastic spool works great and is marked 29 155.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

I thought the Surfmaster 150 used a 29-150 spool and the 29-155 was 200 width.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on September 11, 2015, 05:33:15 AM
I thought the Surfmaster 150 used a 29-150 spool and the 29-155 was 200 width.
You are correct Lee, the Surfmaster 150 uses the 29-150. The beachmaster 155 uses the 29-200 spool (full size).
Here are some specs on spools, i put this up a few months back:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13184.0

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Now I'm confused.  I looked at Scott's but a pic doesn't give actual dimensions.

I don't have a Surfmaster 200 to check against, but held the spool next to a Squidder 140, and went 'ah ha'.  My first 150, must be a 200 with a 150 side plate. And my spool, in a 29-150 box must be a 29L-200.  Any one have info on 150 bar length to confirm?

So much for adding a 150. Now I need bars and a spool.  Or convert it to another 100.

Thank you gentlemen. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 11, 2015, 02:11:56 PM
Now I'm confused.  I looked at Scott's but a pic doesn't give actual dimensions.

I don't have a Surfmaster 200 to check against, but held the spool next to a Squidder 140, and went 'ah ha'.  My first 150, must be a 200 with a 150 side plate. And my spool, in a 29-150 box must be a 29L-200.  Any one have info on 150 bar length to confirm?

So much for adding a 150. Now I need bars and a spool.  Or convert it to another 100.

Thank you gentlemen. 
Surfmaster (100 ) ...1 11/16
Surfmastef (150 ) ...2 1/8
Surfmaster (200 ) ... 2 7/16
Dimensions are ring to ring from the inside, not spool length.
Most of my Surfmasters are narrowed with the 29-100 spool, all have plates mentioned above, I don't mind mixing them up.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

The bars on this reel measure 2-1/8".  Hmmm.????

Alto Mare

Take another look at the number on the spool, I'm sure it  says 29-150 and not 29-155.
About your comment above with the ratchet being taller, you can't determine if the ratchet is taller just by looking at the side of the spool, some spools are machined deeper. If you stand them side to side, I'm betting the ratchets are at the same height.

Rancanfish

Put my cheaters on...definitely 29 155 on plastic spool.(Actually, it says 155 /rib/29.) Re-Confirmed width of bars 2-1/8th.

If I hold the two spools side by side with the edge of the spools touching,  the clicker gear stands proud of the edge on the plastic one.

You forced me to get my calipers out.  From the end of the spool shaft to the top of the click gear differs. 6.99mm to 7.70mm.

From the handle side end of the spool shaft, to the flat surface of the click gear differs too.

I am more confused than ever now. I think I have a 150, but my al. spool, which is unmarked, and came in a box marked 29-150, has to be incorrect. It just hit me, I bet it's a 145 spool!!

Alto Mare

That last part of your comment makes perfect sense to me. Where did you get it from?, If it was from Scotts, Mo would get right on it to make it right.

mizmo67

I'm going to try and get on here more often.

I don't know if any of this is going to help you - all the notes here spun me in circles so I'll just start some data...

The 150 reel uses a 37-160 post which is approx 2 1/8" long
The 155 reel is wider, the 37-155 post is 2 3/8" long

Spool width not including the shafts is usually just a fraction longer than the post.
You shouldn't see a 155 in a 150 reel, it's a different series.

Have you always had the reel? I'm sort of wondering if it's one of the old hybrid mutts that the one of techs at Penn used to tinker with way back when.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Rancanfish

Hi Maureen, thanks for checking in.

I've had this reel for awhile, but never did anything with it except drags. It does, as I said, have a spool that reads 155 /then a plastic rib/ then 29. Wow, I just noticed it DOES say 29/155 at the other end of the spool, don't know how I missed it before. The reel works perfectly with this spool.It is 2.195" wide. Bars are 2.11" measured with a caliper. With a tape measure they are 2-1/8". Spool is maybe a 1/16th wider.

I returned the spool as it's measurements were not the same.( I still think it was a 29L-145).

This is definitely a 150, with all bars and sideplate and base(30-66) seeming correct.

I will eventually try a known 29L-150 and see if my guess that it is a 145 spool is correct.

mizmo67

It's probably that the 150 and 155 use the same spool but different shafts.

I'll go check the spools here and see if that is the case. Too many details to remember and my memory stinks, lol.
~Mo

mizmo67

Same spool diameters on 155 and 150.

So the older metal and plastic ones could have used the same component, just widened for the 155, since some of the older chrome/bronze spools were 3pc'rs

It is entirely possible to have the wrong spool in a box. We've gotten them that way from Penn over the years.
~Mo

Rancanfish

Thanks for the follow up.

I wish I had a 145 to check it against while I had it. 

I'll just have to go to you and get one when cash flow is up again.  ;D

George4741

I have a plastic spool that is factory marked "29-155" however, it is a narrow spool and fits in my Surfmaster 100.  I'm sure that there are other miss-marked Penn spools out there.
viurem lliures o morirem