Musky Rod for SW topwater use

Started by jaypeegee, September 14, 2015, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I am thinking of buying a rod for throwing topwater lures from shore. Target species being 10 Kilo and up Kingfish (Yellow tail Amberjacks)
In NZ there is a shortage of rods for OH reels in this category

I am focussed on an 8 - 9 foot 2 piece rod. Split butt. setup for OH. that can cast up to 6oz sweetly, has a softish tip and is reasonably light.
It will pair with an NACL 50 for now.

I believe a good option may be found in the Musky rod offerings with the Tackle Industries 9 foot mag heavy being a good example.

Issues I see are that the components are designed for FW use and may corrode more than a rod designed for SW . Of some concern but manageable.
However, I don't know how musky fight and/or what makes a good musky rod from hands on experience.
I'm hoping that someone here might be able to translate the type of action I could expect from a musky rod into words.
It wont be much but it might help me make a decision.

Landed, the TI rod will be around 380 NZD incl shipping.(Plus a potential 15% tax increase at customs)
A custom rod made in NZ will start at ~400NZD for the blank so the thought of the TI or whatever rod is attractive - If the action is suitable.

I have refrained from asking at a Musky site as I assume they will have negligible SW experience and hope that someone here will have enough crossover experience to be able to comment.

If not, Then thanks anyway.

Newell Nut

Musky rods are very stiff graphite rods for casting heavy lures and fighting musky in shallow waters mostly. I bought an expensive St Croix Musky/Saltwater blank rated 50-100 line rating. I built it to snapper fish. I called the customer tech service and asked about drag settings and they said 28 max was used by musky guys. I set my drag at 20 lb and the rod lasted about 5 seconds on a big snapper and snapped 3 inches from the fore grip.

If fishing saltwater then get a saltwater rod and no half breed.

jaypeegee

Appreciate you sharing your experience NN

The thing is that the Topwater guys suggested a Barramundi rod from Australia (Generally too short) or a Muskie rod.

If anyone has a better experience than NN I would appreciate hearing it.

I may have to build a rod but if I can avoid it I would be much happier

nelz

I have a Compre musky 7 ft spinning rod that Shimano sent me to replace another out of production rod under warranty. I only fish salt water, but this musky rod is too heavy for the inshore fish that I mostly target. However, I've taken it out on reef trips here in Florida, and hooked some big amberjacks among other critters, and it's handled them superbly! I've no idea how a musky fights, but I seriously doubt they have anywhere near the power of an AJ.

As for corrosion, it's never been an issue. I wash it down just like all my rods after each trip. It has a tungsten carbide tip (which I read should always be rinsed off.) But that tip is a nice touch too, because it's metal and takes much more abuse than any ceramic. It's also a super-hard metal that can take braid line.

So, as for me, a musky rod has worked out great in the brine.

johndtuttle

What you want are one of the heavier versions of a Phenix M1 Inshore or Okuma Shadow Stalker or one of the heavier Cousins rods . They are salt rods rated to throw up to 8oz lures...you should find one them like the Phenix M1 SMX 90H will do the trick on King Fish on the surface.

jurelometer

Have caught both yellowtail kingfish and musky.   No comparison.   I have caught musky only on the fly.   A spectacular grab, and then hand-line them in, even the big models.     A bit of splashing, maybe a short burst or two to cover and then it is all over.  As you know, a decent sized kingie might empty that reel of yours with a drag setting of 15 lbs.

You might consider looking at what the east coast USA surf fisherman use for striped bass rods with conventional reels like yours.  I  think they do a bit of big surface plug casting.  Stripers are a saltwater inshore species that pull reasonably hard, and frequently will surpass 10 kilos.

steelfish

I have really nice experiences on using musky Rods on saltwater.
In my case Im using a Gander mountain musky rod 7.6'. 20-40 rod, paired with a Calcutta 400TE reel, which both were the ultimate musky combo few years ago.
Here is a Picture on a nice spanish mackerel (Sierra) of 16#. Rod performance was excellent and Im sure it can handle heavier fishes

I dont know the fish you are after but I say go for it

The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on September 15, 2015, 11:03:20 PM
I have really nice experiences on using musky Rods on saltwater.
In my case Im using a Gander mountain musky rod 7.6'. 20-40 rod, paired with a Calcutta 400TE reel, which both were the ultimate musky combo few years ago.
Here is a Picture on a nice spanish mackerel (Sierra) of 16#. Rod performance was excellent and Im sure it can handle heavier fishes

I dont know the fish you are after but I say go for it

"Kingfish" are the same as Yellowtail in Baja. Except in New Zealand they can run to 100#. 50# is a common catch :).

steelfish

Well thats different LOL

But well the OP esa asking for references.. My experience with those on my fisheries is Bernanke always good
The Baja Guy

jaypeegee

All good suggestions guys, Keep em coming...
The suggestions so far are all 1 piece which is going to be nearly impossible to ship to NZ

Seems the Muskie rods may be a little heavy for prolonged casting sessions but research continues

johndtuttle

Quote from: jaypeegee on September 16, 2015, 01:33:40 AM
All good suggestions guys, Keep em coming...
The suggestions so far are all 1 piece which is going to be nearly impossible to ship to NZ

Seems the Muskie rods may be a little heavy for prolonged casting sessions but research continues

I have one of the new Abu Garcia rods that is a 2-piece with the ferrule at the top of the foregrip. It's rated to cast 4-10oz.

It's a "Fantasista Beast" F88-7...listed at 12.3 oz, 40-60lb line....hope to use it in the net few weeks....

http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-rods-casting-rods/1373580.html#start=3

Jeri

Hi Jaypeegee

What you are looking for is a bit of a beast of a casting rod – as casting 6oz lures is heavy weight class by anyone's standards.

We have built a few as special order for some customers in Australia, and basically had to get a hybrid blank to do the job properly; as what you are looking for is basically 2/3rds of a powerful surf rod – something about 9' long, but obviously 2 piece. The problem with just taking the top 2/3rd of a 3 piece surf rod, is that what now becomes the butt  section is a little too flexible, and needs beefing up with extra wraps of carbon. The other issue with casting, is that single handed casting with a 6oz lure is not going to work, you do need to start looking at a double hander.

That was the route we went, and it worked. The problem wasn't ultimately the casting aspect – but the sheer power of the big fish when hooked and brought close to the rock platforms. That's when it becomes a seriously 'brutal' fight, and the rod really needs somme 'lock up' power for the final stages of the fight.

The biggest problem you are going to have over our Australian clients, is that the import duties and restrictions into New Zealand are very penalising; they enjoy a $1000 import free limit.

Perhaps look at some of the local high carbon surf rod blanks as options?

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

nelz

Quote from: jurelometer on September 15, 2015, 10:55:23 PMHave caught both yellowtail kingfish and musky.   No comparison.   I have caught musky only on the fly.   A spectacular grab, and then hand-line them in, even the big models.     A bit of splashing, maybe a short burst or two to cover and then it is all over.

Really? How disappointing.  :(  Catching a big musky has been on my bucket list for a while, but now I'm not so sure, lol.

SoCalAngler

You may want to check into some "Travel Rods" as they do make some 9' rods. The travel rods break down to something like 4 or 5 pieces and most come with a case. Shipping wise that would be a good way to go.

jaypeegee

Quote from: nelz on September 16, 2015, 03:15:08 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on September 15, 2015, 10:55:23 PMHave caught both yellowtail kingfish and musky.   No comparison.   I have caught musky only on the fly.   A spectacular grab, and then hand-line them in, even the big models.     A bit of splashing, maybe a short burst or two to cover and then it is all over.

Really? How disappointing.  :(  Catching a big musky has been on my bucket list for a while, but now I'm not so sure, lol.

Do it on 1lb line
problem solved
:-)