Butterfly jigs and solid rings

Started by davy, September 21, 2015, 01:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davy

Hi guys! I have a question regarding flat fall jigs and knife jigs.  Its seems like most of these lures you attach a split ring with a solid ring and the assist hooks tied to the solid ring.  My question is what is the point of attaching the assist hooks on the solid ring?  Why is the solid ring needed if you can tie the assist hooks directly on the split ring?  I was just thinking of tying the assist hooks directly on the split ring and tie the main line on the split ring.  I need a little insight before I go spend 6 dollars on package of Owner solid rings.  Thank guys!

Three se7ens

The solid rings are far stronger than split rings.  If you tie your main line to the solid ring, and the assist hooks are on the solid ring as well, you have the strongest connection between the hooks and line.  The only thing the split ring is holding is the jig itself.

Aiala

Speaking of solid rings, where's a good place to buy assorted sizes in more than a few per pack? (I prefer 'em over barrel swivels for making up single-strand wire 'hoo leaders.)  ???

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

otownjoe

Like it has been said  strength is the main reason .plus having the jig on its own ring can give it more action. If you are fishing for big fish make sure you get the rings made with round wire. They will give you better knot strength.

broschro

Bryan Young

Quote from: Aiala on September 21, 2015, 02:44:19 AM
Speaking of solid rings, where's a good place to buy assorted sizes in more than a few per pack? (I prefer 'em over barrel swivels for making up single-strand wire 'hoo leaders.)  ???

~A~

Buy them from Anglers Choice Tackle (http://www.anglerschoicetackle.com/) in San Diego.  They sell black solid rings that are great for wahoo.  Chrome ones tends to get bitten off.  Wahoo likes sparkly and shiny things.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 21, 2015, 05:25:31 PM
Buy them from Anglers Choice Tackle (http://www.anglerschoicetackle.com/) in San Diego.  They sell black solid rings that are great for wahoo.  Chrome ones tends to get bitten off.  Wahoo like sparkly and shiny things.

Bryan, thanks a lot... I just visited their site and searched with every term I could think of for solid rings, but no luck... ???

Any guidance most appreciated.   :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

conchydong

Bryan Young

Quote from: Aiala on September 21, 2015, 05:54:39 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on September 21, 2015, 05:25:31 PM
Buy them from Anglers Choice Tackle (http://www.anglerschoicetackle.com/) in San Diego.  They sell black solid rings that are great for wahoo.  Chrome ones tends to get bitten off.  Wahoo like sparkly and shiny things.

Bryan, thanks a lot... I just visited their site and searched with every term I could think of for solid rings, but no luck... ???

Any guidance most appreciated.   :-\

~A~
I sent Luc (the owner) and email.  I hope to hear back from him regarding the rings.  I discovered it's not on their site as well, but they have a lot of things that are not up on their site because of inventory fluctuations. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

davy

Thank for your input guys! I may just attach a heavy duty split ring and skip the solid ring.  I have a couple of those heavy duty slit rings that Owner makes and I hope that is sufficient for fish up to 50 pounds.  I will be fishing a three day soon and seem like fish are going to no bigger than 50 pounds.  Thanks for the help!