Which One To Keep

Started by SoCalAngler, September 25, 2015, 11:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Looks like I now have two 220's. Is one more sought after? Any thoughts would be great. Both have carbontex drags and are in very good shape.

Rancanfish

Well, I don't know the difference, and I'm too cheap to buy one just to find out, so...............

Keep the one with the phillips screws and send me the cute one with the red stripe handle.   ;D

I'm sure the Newell 'enthusiasts will' be along...

Edited:  We have a valued member here, 'Newell Nut' and I admire him and didn't want to chance offending him by saying the 'Newell Nuts' will be along.  I didn't think before posting that, sorry.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

I also have a line on a no letter 332 but don't know if I should pick it up. I won't fish it just flip it but I don't think there is enough money left in to make it worth it.

I do know a little about Newell's with the G' having the SS bearing cups and such. I also did replace the plastic clicker ring and clicker button with SS ones in the G.

eguinn

If you ever do have to replace bearings on that C series good luck, I've also seen those side plates crack. Plastic bearing caps are ####. My self, I will not buy 1.

SoCalAngler

The bearings are the same size as the other 200 and 300 reels. And to me to crack a bearing cup would mean over tightening the bearing cup on the right side. I'm not trying to be critical of what your saying and thanks for your info.

EDIT: Sorry the other reel I was looking at was a 322 no letter not a 332.

Alto Mare

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 26, 2015, 12:21:27 AM
The bearings are the same size as the other 200 and 300 reels. And to me to crack a bearing cup would mean over tightening the bearing cup on the right side. I'm not trying to be critical of what your saying and thanks for your info.
I'm with you on that. You could crack the cup by having it too tight, those should hold up just fine....nice reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

Any G over any POS C any day! C's were the poorest quality of all the Newells. In most respects the G's were the best series Newell made. Choose wisely!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

Quote from: MarkT on September 26, 2015, 01:18:38 AM
Any G over any POS C any day! C's were the poorest quality of all the Newells. In most respects the G's were the best series Newell made. Choose wisely!

Which one is which, just for rookie info here.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

As far as I can tell the only difference from the two is the sealed bearing cap on the left and plastic bearing cap on the right of the C. I did some mods to the G that I stated, click ring and click button but other than the bearing caps the stock reels are the same. Again not trying to be critical of anyone's info and please keep it coming.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 26, 2015, 01:22:01 AM
Quote from: MarkT on September 26, 2015, 01:18:38 AM

Which one is which, just for rookie info here.

The first picture shows the lettering.

bluefish69

Take the "G" over the "C" if for no other reason is the bearing cups.  If it has a Graphite Spool you need a Graphite - Plastic Clicker Ring. Please don't mix & match.

There is Money in ALL 322 Newell's. I am always looking for a reasonable priced one.  CHEAP

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

The first Gs had the SS Jack lever and SS clicker and had a metal sprocket on the left side for the SS clicker. Yours is the second edition G. Plastic jack lever knob and should be plastic clicker for the plastic sprocket on the spool. The handle also has a SS shaft inside the knob on the red letter ones. You will notice a SS washer on the handle and the C model has a plastic washer on the handle.
I prefer the first edition Gs.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 26, 2015, 01:34:44 AM
Take the "G" over the "C" if for no other reason is the bearing cups.  If it has a Graphite Spool you need a Graphite - Plastic Clicker Ring. Please don't mix & match.

There is Money in ALL 322 Newell's. I am always looking for a reasonable priced one.  CHEAP

Mike

Thanks bluefish,

The G 220 has a metal click gear on the spool in this reel thats why I switched out the click ring to a metal one that I had laying around. There should be no wear on the metal click ring and the spool's click gear. But, thanks for the heads up.

SoCalAngler

Newellnut,

If you look at the G reel I did swap the click button to a SS one as well as the other changes....well the other two.(oops I should of said the other one, the ss click ring) Thanks for your input here.

Now I have to look around for a ss jack lever, time to dig through parts again....lol

SoCalAngler

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 26, 2015, 01:34:44 AM

Mike

bf,

You have a PM.