Sam Scott rod

Started by BMITCH, September 29, 2015, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Hey Guys and Gals, I was just given a pair of Sam Scott rods with 115 h senators. I know a bit about the senators but wasn't able to get much info on the rods. They have aft of rollers and an alum. Butt. I was thinking of using as my deep drop swordfish setup. Any info on the rods would be great.

Thanks
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

conchydong

Sam Scott rods were made as a production rod in West Palm Beach. FL. While they were a decent rod at a reasonable price point. I wouldn't consider them as a top tier rod. For night time sword fishing they would work but for day timing where a sensitive tip is a must they would not be my first or second choice. It all depends on how you want to fish it. That being said, they aren't all that bad.

BMITCH

Concha,
Yes a night time rod...maybe 250 ft. Not what you guys do during the day at 1100. Just a thought on these rods. Fibrperglass and look like they would stand up to a beatin. Basically a. Rail rod that I'm not all that concerned about. I'm thinking the fiberglas is pretty tough and forgiving. Just wasn't getting much info while googling them. Soooo no real value other than the price was right...free. 👍😎
luck is the residue of design.

conchydong

For your intended use you can beat it to pieces and it will survive. You can put heat on them, I have a couple but they are in the Philippines at my second home so I can't go  pull on them to give you a up to date evaluation. They are solid though. If I am not mistaken , Sam Scott went on to build rods for Murrey Brothers which was a top notch rod.

Newell Nut

They make decent snapper rods. Just rebuilt one for a friend a few weeks ago and found the spine was completely backwards. The good thing is that the seat was spinning so I was able to strip the rod to remove the seat and rebuilt it correctly.

otownjoe

Sam Scott made a decent rod in his heyday.as he got on in years the materials were still good but quality went down hill. The last Sam Scott I bought in the late 90's I had to pick thru 4 or 5 rods to find one I would buy. I'm not sure what kind of blanks he used but I've never heard bad things about them.Joe

joe k

i have and older sam scott rod ...all rollers with swivel roller top..it has a wood butt..can it be changed over to a straight aluminum..rod a beast for pulling umbrella rigs and doubling up on bluefish...worried about the aging wooden butt ..any info would be great..use it it with penn 9/0..filled with wire..

gstours

If I understand your question, yes a slick butt, or hypalon or Eva, could be used if the rod blank extends to the butt cap.  It's a pretty simple job you can do,  others may chime in,  you will have fun.🐙

joe k

any tutourial sites...never did any rod repairs...except for replacing tips and tops..Joe

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

Does the wood butt in-screw from the rod or is it glued on some how?  Should be possible if you can get the wood one off. Those wood butts were made from some pretty strong wood on higher end rods. Never seen one snap off, usually the line or something else would break first
Do what you can with that you have where you are

joe k

well thats what my friend thought on older wood butt set-up  also...but i did tell him it was his human error for not setting drag correctly and tethering reel on one of our trips off montauk ...butt was left in rod holder ...9/0 and rod top on the bottom of the atlantic somewhere....i still rib him about...

thorhammer

The main question is whether the blank goes all the way through the butt. If so, virtually indestructible. If not, it's not. i have a leadcore setup in the bottom of a lake similarly.

If it's able to be unscrewed at the ferrule then there are things that may be done. post pics.

John

gstours

Another way to find out is show us some pictures of the butt to Ferrell or reelseat connection maybe some body would know what you got.  If you remove the buttcap or gimbal on the butt end of the rod you May see the rod blank end.   If knot then maybe the entire butt piece is wood?   Therod blank has two ends, right?   Maybe the rod blank ends in the reelseat?   Some body here will know.   Pictures?