stainless steel gear sleeves - penn squidders, jigmasters, and smaller senators

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revbailey

I saw the earlier comment on the stainless steel dogs, are there any out there for squidders, 112h, 113h, or 500s.  Thx guys.
Teach a man to fish...

Keta

There is for the 113H but I'm having trouble finding small quanities of material for the others and can't justify a 4x8 sheet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Why not? There are a lot of Penn reels out there. I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind sendind $ upfront so you can cover the cost for material.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Mark Twain

joel8080

Does any of the Penn dogs fit Pro Gear reels ?, If they do I'm sure there would be additional interest in purchasing the SS Dogs.

Joel
Oceanside,California

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on November 16, 2012, 05:59:34 AM
It might seem odd but I really hate dealing with $.
I'm sure you're not the only one Lee.
If it wasn't for  down payments, I wouldn't be able to go to work.
You probably could figure this one out better than most of us. Find out how many dogs you've sold so far and how long it took.
I'm surprised that your connections wouldn't sell you a 2x2 or 2x4 sheets, you could tell them that there is a chance that you might buy the rest.
A 4x8 sheet will give you 32 sq ft, (1) sq ft should give you 100 dogs, maybe more but lets say 100.
A full 4x8 sheet should put out 3200dogs....that's a lot of dogs :-\.
There are close to 40 different dogs for Penn reels that you haven't done yet, What are your thoughts?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

The 15-500 dogs should be popular and 15-309 (112H) might be a good one.  It doesn't cost any more to make others and if they are the same thickness it can be done at the same time.  The water cuter will do small runs, as few as 6 so custom dogs are cheep/easy but I like to have the reel so I can test them before I send them out.  The big problem with ordering a full sheet is shipping large items to where I'm located and the sources for SS are at least 4 hour drive away.  I'll see if I can get a sheet put in with another shipment to save a few $.  I've been delaying a trip to Portland, this might push me to do it but I really do not like being in town and cities are far worse. 

When people pay me in advance I'm always worried that something will happen and they don't get their parts, I'd rather send the parts first then get paid.

Joel, If I have the dog I can draw it up and have it cut, material of the proper thickness is my main problem....well the pasture maggots are my main problem but that's another story.

Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Keta on November 16, 2012, 05:59:34 AM
It might seem odd but I really hate dealing with $.

I often agree.

But seriously, your waterjet guy doesn't have leftover scraps?
They often do.

Keta

Mark Twain

ChileRelleno

Hi Alan,
I'm looking for a SS gear sleeve for my 114H to go with my other planned upgrades.
Do you have any available, please/thnku?
chilerelleno@comcast.net
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

I've repeatedly tried to install 114H gear sleeve, but it keeps binding when I insert the pin(s).

I notice that there are two pins included, one round and one with a flat.
The round binds the sleeve upon partial insertion.
The flat goes in too loose and the sleeve will only rotate approx 3/4 either direction before binding.

Suggestion?
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

What do you mean by going in too loose, does it come out on its own? Try installing the sleeve and don't worry about the binding. Place the handle and nut on the sleeve, just hand tight  the nut . Now hold the base of the bridge in your left hand and turn the handle with the right hand, don't be afraid about forcing it. Do this for about 20 times, remove the sleeve, clean and grease the post and put it back. You should be ok from there. If that doesn't work there are a few more things you could do, but try that first.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2013, 12:02:47 AM
What do you mean by going in too loose, does it come out on its own? Try installing the sleeve and don't worry about the binding. Place the handle and nut on the sleeve, just hand tight  the nut . Now hold the base of the bridge in your left hand and turn the handle with the right hand, don't be afraid about forcing it. Do this for about 20 times, remove the sleeve, clean and grease the post and put it back. You should be ok from there. If that doesn't work there are a few more things you could do, but try that first.
The pin with the flat, yes, too loose, slides in/out.
Put the other pin and followed your suggestion...  Thank you that worked, it is spinning freely now.
I didn't want to force it without inquiring first.

Appreciate the reply/help.

Ragnar Benson: