stainless steel gear sleeves - penn squidders, jigmasters, and smaller senators

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: ChileRelleno on August 10, 2013, 12:30:06 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2013, 12:02:47 AM
Place the handle and nut on the sleeve, just hand tight  the nut . Now hold the base of the bridge in your left hand and turn the handle with the right hand, don't be afraid about forcing it. Do this for about 20 times, remove the sleeve, clean and grease the post and put it back. You should be ok from there.
Thank you that worked, it is spinning freely now.
I didn't want to force it without inquiring first. Appreciate the reply/help.

Sal:  You are a freaking genius.   :o :o Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

alantani

for some of the bridge posts, the slot was too low (or for my gear sleeve, the pin hole was too high!!!)  so that's why we had to make a pin that was shaved down.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

1bayouboy

Alan,
  Can these gear sleeves for the 113H still be ordered from you...??
Thanks,
/d

Bryan Young

Quote from: 1bayouboy on October 11, 2013, 03:06:09 PM
Alan,
  Can these gear sleeves for the 113H still be ordered from you...??
Thanks,
/d
Alan is currently out fishing.  How many do you need?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sundaytrucka

I just picked up a 113H, and looking into the SS gear sleeve upgrade. I have seen posts regarding the upgrade, where Alan said it is not a necessity, and to fish the reel for a while before spending extra money on the SS sleeve.

When would the SS gear sleeve become necessary, due to physical limitations of the bronze sleeve, fishing 50-60# on a 113H or 60-80# line on a wide version?

Are the SS gear sleeves still running for $20 shipped?  Does Alan sell SS dogs for the 113H?

Thanks, Scott.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

I have always found the SS gear sleeve beneficial. It just makes the reel feel more solid. Technically, if you fish 12 pounds or less drag, the factory bridge is fine. If you are fishing 50% line then you can get into situations where you want more than 12 pounds of drag. Alan recomends that everyone saves there money for bait and tackle until there is a true need for an upgrade. That is, of course, great advice because it came from the Guru himself. But I still really really really like SS gear sleeves.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

If it's a used reel chances are the tip is starting to round if it was fished hard. If not upgrade the drags put some good line on it and fish it'. Unless u want to make it bad to the bone! with ss sleeve, gears, and double dog's Tank!!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

what if you'll upgrade to a 7+1 drag stack in the future. you are also planning a dbl dog. my 2 cents go for a SS sleeve now. also if my memory serves me right Alan T. recommends to fish it 1st without the SS gears not the SS sleeve....

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Mel B on October 21, 2013, 12:44:08 AM
what if you'll upgrade to a 7+1 drag stack in the future. you are also planning a dbl dog. my 2 cents go for a SS sleeve now. also if my memory serves me right Alan T. recommends to fish it 1st without the SS gears not the SS sleeve....

You are probably right, I may be mixing up his quote on SS gears and SS gear sleeves,

Alright, I am sold on a SS gear sleeve.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ron Jones

If you are stuffing 7 carbon fiber disks into a 113H main gear it is assumed you plan to exceed 20 pounds of drag. A SS gear sleeve is just about mandatory in that situation unless you fish so infrequently that replacing brass sleeves with brass sleeves is cheaper.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Mel B on October 21, 2013, 04:18:04 PM
don`t forget the SS yoke from Dawn... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

The reel already had one installed, along with a SS gear set. Thanks for looking out though!