Beachmaster 165 - no A/R dog, no star drag(?)

Started by sdlehr, November 19, 2015, 02:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Hi everyone. I'm hooked on this as a hobby, and recently found various parts from different sources on eBay which will enable me to assemble a Beachmaster 165. I haven't received any of this yet. I'm looking at the schematic, and there is no star drag (and maybe no drag at all?) and there seems to be no A/R dog or spring. This is different than my Squidders, Jigmasters and Senators. I feel like I'm missing something here - is my assessment correct? With no A/R and no drag I'm wondering what I may have gotten myself into and whether I really want this after all.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

I think you have a knucklebuster there Sid. There is no AR dog so you can play the fish with no drag.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4403.0
Life is Good!

foakes

Hi Sid --

Sounds like you are moving towards a realm where the "Bible" may be your next logical step in your reel hobby.

One of our members, and a good friend, Michael Cacioppo -- has a book out about Penn Reels.

It is entitled -- The Chronological History of Penn Reels.

It covers the first 25 years from 1932 - 1957.

It is not by any means a money maker for Mr. Cacioppo -- at the low price he charges -- however, it does mirror and report accurately Mike's tens of thousands of hours of research and corroboration with other experts around the world -- and his passion for history along with verifiable facts.

It should be available from Whitefish Press, Amazon, or Mike may have a few copies for sale.

Around $55.  And possibly the best money you will ever spend.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

I had one of those Knuckle Busters about 60 Yrs. ago. I am just getting the feeling back this year. I have it here somewhere.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on November 19, 2015, 04:06:04 PM

Sid this is not Mike Cacioppo.  It is the Bosu showing off Mike's book.  Dominick  
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

Here is a quick pic of a knuckle buster direct drive reel. I have some Penn direct drive reels but can't reach them.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

Thanks for the advice. I had seen that book before, but put it off. So that's what "knucklebuster" refers to.... I had assumed it was something else.... as usual, I've learned something new the hard way. Glad I'm only out about $30.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector