Conventional Jigging/Bait Reel

Started by Wwen, November 21, 2015, 11:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wwen

I've been wondering about the Accurate DPX2 and BX reels compared to the Maxel (aka Jigging Master reels). I currently have all of them but I need to sell several of them and many of my rods to finance an OBX500 jigging rod, SevenSeas popping rod and a Stella 18k. I'd prefer to stick to one company but not necessarily. So far the NZ Accurate Dealer (Decoro Fishing supplies) has told me the Accurate BX, DPX, DX reels have bigger, stronger drive gear, better metals than the Maxel & JM reels because the JM reels copied the Accurate Boss Magnum series of reels. I wonder if this is a significant difference in performance or cranking power? Additionally, Decoro Fishing Supplies also has told me that installing a "seal kit" in the Accurate AR bearing would make them bulletproof because the only way they fail is through corrision not through high drag load thereby negating the need for AR Dawgs in an Accurate BX reel. Does this make sense or what do you think?  
Both have reputable service in the USA so I don't think thats an issue. However, I have heard of crazy expensive Accurate bills so I believe Maxel reel service should be cheaper.
What do you think I should stick with?
I usually fish Texas Oil rigs with these reels and fish about ~22lb strike and ~30lb full for grouper & AJs, but I will go to Venice sometimes for tuna. May also travel to exotic locations like PV, Panama, Cabo, costa rica too.
I talke to Alan some about the Avets. They are nice reels too but I have an Avet HXJ raptor but this reels high gear ratio is a little too high for jigging IMO. 5:1 to 4:1 is what I like especially since I jig 400g jigs often. The AR play is not a deal breaker for me but is definitely a con.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Edward