Rockfish setup questions

Started by AlasKen, November 25, 2015, 12:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I was reading with interest JohnTuttle's and Big Tim's information on setups for Virg's 1/2 day trips.  I have a follow-up question but didn't want to hijack that thread.  Can you explain how you are setting up you 2 hoochie rig with circle hooks?  Is this similar to an Alaskan Halibut setup with a weight on the bottom and 2 hoochies at various heights off of that?  I am just looking for new options for next summer.  Thanks in advance for any info to point me in the right direction.  Thanks.  Ken

ALASKAFISHMAN

I think you are right, it looks like an old style perch jig set up.  P-line sells some that are commercially tied.   look at the links below.  I think I would use better knots than the perch rig, but this is the basic idea.   One downside to using them is when there are ling or yellow eye in the area.  They will tear them up, break the line between the fish.  I don't use them much any more - unless fishing for say black sea bass/black rock fish.

http://p-line.com/soft-baits/sabikis

Brent
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

johndtuttle

Quote from: AlasKen on November 25, 2015, 12:18:58 AM
I was reading with interest JohnTuttle's and Big Tim's information on setups for Virg's 1/2 day trips.  I have a follow-up question but didn't want to hijack that thread.  Can you explain how you are setting up you 2 hoochie rig with circle hooks?  Is this similar to an Alaskan Halibut setup with a weight on the bottom and 2 hoochies at various heights off of that?  I am just looking for new options for next summer.  Thanks in advance for any info to point me in the right direction.  Thanks.  Ken

Exactly like the above rigs but spaced closer to 18" apart for bigger fish. Use 40# test and they hold up fine to any rockfish I have ever caught (to maybe 24").

If you tie dropper loops thread on a hoochie, then a bead (more than one may be needed like on the "Squid" hoochie below but the "Octopus" one takes just one rigging bead) then the hook:

Those are some pretty heavy wire (far heavier than needed) and light wire hooks are fine. Get them plenty big (like 8-9/0) so the gap spans the lip cartilage.

I like a little glow in the hoochie (commonly we fish down to 250' depending on regulations) but I have no idea if they actually work better. It's limits pretty much every time out if you can pick your conditions.

Never set the hook! The little ones will peck and tug at it just attracting more of their bros. Then a big 'un will try and wreck it and....gotcha. Once one is on, just slowly reel up, usually the next attracted to the commotion will come along and hit the other hoochie. Its also a great way to get mid-column species like Olives by winding a hooked fish slowly through them when seen on the meter.

You also snag bottom less with these (use in line circles). Fish once hooked stay hooked.

Post some photos of your rigs and success! :)

best

AlasKen

Perfect info.  I will tie a few of these up over the rest of winter for my grand daughter and I.  These look like they would do the trick for a number of options.  Thanks to you both for sharing.  Ken

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 23, 2016, 05:37:16 PM

If you tie dropper loops thread on a hoochie, then a bead (more than one may be needed like on the "squid" hoochie below) then the hook:

I have always wondered if there is any special knot or way to attach the hook when using this rig (pretty usual here in baja) to each loop.

I mean, when you make the loop, the you just insert the tip of the double line on the hook eye, pass it above the hook and pull and thats it?
or do you do any other maneouver to secure the hook on the double line of the loop?

(I hope I made myself clear, this is even hard to make it clear in Spanish LOL)
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on February 23, 2016, 08:49:21 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on February 23, 2016, 05:37:16 PM

If you tie dropper loops thread on a hoochie, then a bead (more than one may be needed like on the "squid" hoochie below) then the hook:

I have always wondered if there is any special knot or way to attach the hook when using this rig (pretty usual here in baja) to each loop.

I mean, when you make the loop, the you just insert the tip of the double line on the hook eye, pass it above the hook and pull and thats it?
or do you do any other maneouver to secure the hook on the double line of the loop?

(I hope I made myself clear, this is even hard to make it clear in Spanish LOL)

Yep that is all you need. All of the commercially tied rock fish rigs use that method. The line used is stiff enough to stay relaxed and the hook eye is wide so it holds quite well and doesn't cut itself.

Standard dropper loop knot used on the San Diego LR fleet is just an overhand knot in 100# wrapped 7 times (The Rose Knot). That loop is then used to attach the hook in the same way. Works on Groupers well over 100#.

johndtuttle

Quote from: AlasKen on February 23, 2016, 08:38:23 PM
Perfect info.  I will tie a few of these up over the rest of winter for my grand daughter and I.  These look like they would do the trick for a number of options.  Thanks to you both for sharing.  Ken

If you have any worries about big Lings or Halibut tearing up the rigs just go heavier as needed ie 60# or more.

In Baja we use 100-130# for groupers and people even tie up 200# for big Tuna.

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 23, 2016, 09:04:07 PM
Standard dropper loop knot used on the San Diego LR fleet is just an overhand knot in 100# wrapped 7 times (The Rose Knot). That loop is then used to attach the hook in the same way. Works on Groupers well over 100#.

dang, feels good to know that, you know why?

I normally use that same technique for making dropper loop rig when fishing from shore on the beaches and rocks of Gonzaga bay, I call it the "Lazy fisherman knot" but its the same you use described it, an overhand knot wrapped 5 times to make as many loops I want, the reason?
on the rocky beaches you lost your terminal rigs pretty often and its a wasted time to make perfect drooper loops every time, so in few seconds you tie the overhand knot 3-5 times and you are on the water again.

one time another fisherman saw me making that loop and he gave me a 30 minutes speach why it was a wrong knot, etc, etc. I didnt wanted to argue with them and listened while fishing that was few years ago, I still keep doing that knot for surf fishing since local fishes never go bigger than 4-5lb and always use 15# to 20# mono, but now since that time I dont tell anyone that I use that "lazy fisherman knot" LOL, when fishing from a boat I do the normal dropper loop when using 40# mono or bigger

now I can say Im not the only one that use it

Sorry Ken to use your thread to talk about this story

The Baja Guy

AlasKen

No need for sorry Steelfish.  I love the stories and sometime the best post is the hijacked one as it gets to the point of interest.  Ken

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on February 24, 2016, 12:39:06 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on February 23, 2016, 09:04:07 PM

dang, feels good to know that, you know why?

I normally use that same technique for making dropper loop rig when fishing from shore on the beaches and rocks of Gonzaga bay, I call it the "Lazy fisherman knot" but its the same you use described it, an overhand knot wrapped 5 times to make as many loops I want, the reason?
on the rocky beaches you lost your terminal rigs pretty often and its a wasted time to make perfect drooper loops every time, so in few seconds you tie the overhand knot 3-5 times and you are on the water again.

one time another fisherman saw me making that loop and he gave me a 30 minutes speach why it was a wrong knot, etc, etc. I didnt wanted to argue with them and listened while fishing that was few years ago, I still keep doing that knot for surf fishing since local fishes never go bigger than 4-5lb and always use 15# to 20# mono, but now since that time I dont tell anyone that I use that "lazy fisherman knot" LOL, when fishing from a boat I do the normal dropper loop when using 40# mono or bigger

now I can say Im not the only one that use it

Sorry Ken to use your thread to talk about this story

The only time you need to be careful is when tying multiple loops on the same piece of leader. In that case, if you hook two heavy fish you could get into trouble.

The SD LR makes only one long loop for the hook and then below that another for the weight. When the fish is hooked it functions as any other loop knot being pulled in a straight line. The stress of the weight is negligible.

For Rock Fish 2 hooks is max and they don't pull hard enough to hurt 40# line so two loops then one for the weight is no trouble.

steelfish

@ thanks Ken

@John, gotcha.  when fishing from shore or boat on rocky bottoms I always use 1 hook, the less accesories and less hooks on the line the less chances to get stuck on the rocks.
The Baja Guy