Mitchell question- Aiala

Started by thorhammer, November 26, 2015, 05:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Aiala (or anyone else),

I have a ton of Mitchells but was not aware of 406 until you mentioned it; I'm looking one now.

Now any turnip what's been fishing twice knows of the 300; but just on a whim this morning I start looking and find the 400's (high speed with upgraded handle, blue housing). Well, I have one on the way to match the big boys.

Have you (or anyone else) experience with this reel?

regards,

Thor

Aiala

Thor, first of all, Happy Thanksgiving! (I encourage you to eat as much turkey as possible, and enjoy every bite!)

To answer your question, yes, I own and LOVE the 406 (and the 402 as well.) My first spinner ever was a 306, with which I learned to surfcast when I was about 14, then later on I moved up to the faster 406, which was perfect for working Atom plugs, Hopkins, Kastmasters and the like.

Both the 406/402 are fairly straightforward when it comes to servicing/maintenance, although there are one or two devilish tiny pieces that have a tendency to disappear if you aren't aware of them, so keeping a schematic handy is a very prudent idea.

I really think you'll appreciate these fine time-tested reel(s), especially if (like me) you are a fan of old-school tackle.  ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

Thanks! As far as old skool, yes! I will have you a couple pics up this evening. I have two 402's, love the one and Fred is doing the other...because of the little bits you mention.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! I just picked up my contribution: vino :)

handi2

When I grew up fishing the northern Gulf of Mexico Mitchell reels were all we had. They are still being used today. A testament to there finish and the fact that they also applied finish to the inside of the frames. I am always customizing them for the local bridge and pier fisherman and women..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

The 400 & 410 Mitchells are the high speed versions of the 300 -- 5:1 instead of the standard 3:1.

All 300 size bodies and rotors.

Like Thor said -- Dark Blue instead of black, longer crank for more control and torque, high speed main and pinion.

A fairly neat High Speed Mitchell is the 440.  The same as the 330 with the auto finger touch bail -- except high speed.

I likely have 300-400 complete Mitchells + thousands of parts and spools.  Mitchells are easy to find pretty cheap, since they manufactured millions and millions of them.  But parts are a little tougher -- so if any of you need some parts -- I might be able to help.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.