I have a confession...

Started by coastal_dan, December 03, 2015, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

...I just bought a Penn Pursuit II.... ::) Their $36 wizbang brand new is on its way to the house.  I swore I would never buy a super cheap reel again, but spinning reels and the kayak don't go hand in hand.  The constant splashing...then sitting...the being splashed again takes it's toll.  Even the 'sealed' spinfishers start to get a little 'muddly' (made up word of the day  ;D).  Probably the only real answer would be a Torque or Van Staal, but I'm just not that ready to throw down that kind of coin quite yet...maybe I'll try to find an old VS for $400 or so in the next year or two.

The real test will be to see how long this little guy lasts.  I'm going to leave the oiled felt drags but I will be putting additional grease under the side cover and around the seam to see if that will help keep some saltwater out.  I lock down my drags and freshwater wash after every excursion, as well as removing the spool and wiping down.  Then give them a wipe down with Penn's Reel Spray.

I sold my loved Ahab because this environment is NOT where it thrives.  So the testing/hunting continues.

We shall see...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

I have 4000, 2x 5000, and 8000. 65 lb braid on the 8000 on a 7' Thorhammer got me through a grouper trip when the 9500SS bail roller started shredding line.

coastal_dan

Good to hear that you have a few John, looking forward to giving it a shot.  There are a lot of great reviews, so I hopefully I can add to them.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

The Great Maudu

I think I would be tempted to stay with the cheaper reels when fishing from a yak. You can buy a lot of $36 Penns compared to a used VS. Fish it, wear it out, throw it out. Keeps the economy moving  :P

D1FISHR

Never take something in the kayak or canoe that you would mind loosing!

CW33919

I found one of these a few weeks back washed up in the surf at Bowman's Beach on Sanibel Island.  It looked as if it hadn't been in the water more than a few days - perhaps a kayaker experienced the inevitable  ;) Planning on taking it apart/cleaning it up and giving it to the 2nd grader who lives next door - that boy loves to fish.  I once found him down on the dock with a piece of lettuce on his hook; I asked him what he was fishing for and he answered "mullet, my Dad says they are vegetarians."  What do you say to that?
'I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles"

happyhooker

I say; don't use Romaine--too many salmonella issues.

Frank

CW33919

Now that's funny right there ;D
Thanks Frank - made my evening!
'I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles"

CapeFish

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 03, 2015, 09:46:00 PM
...I just bought a Penn Pursuit II.... ::) Their $36 wizbang brand new is on its way to the house.  I swore I would never buy a super cheap reel again, but spinning reels and the kayak don't go hand in hand.  The constant splashing...then sitting...the being splashed again takes it's toll.  Even the 'sealed' spinfishers start to get a little 'muddly' (made up word of the day  ;D).  Probably the only real answer would be a Torque or Van Staal, but I'm just not that ready to throw down that kind of coin quite yet...maybe I'll try to find an old VS for $400 or so in the next year or two.

The real test will be to see how long this little guy lasts.  I'm going to leave the oiled felt drags but I will be putting additional grease under the side cover and around the seam to see if that will help keep some saltwater out.  I lock down my drags and freshwater wash after every excursion, as well as removing the spool and wiping down.  Then give them a wipe down with Penn's Reel Spray.

I sold my loved Ahab because this environment is NOT where it thrives.  So the testing/hunting continues.

We shall see...

I have a quantum cabo I use on my kayak and it is doing just fine, been a few years now. I used a Finnor lethal as well, but I accidentally snapped the drive shaft, not during fishing though, but carelessness when I was trying to make the clicker louder. It also did fine, I just wasn't prepared to spend money on a new shaft, not worth it.

Ron Jones

I'd recommend a CF drag washer. Felt doesn't like getting wet in my experience, CF is all but indestructible.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jon_elc

FWIW, i have a Penn Fierce 2 6000 LL that I had in a sand spike, which go washed out by an incoming wave.  the whole setup fell flat into the gentle surf for about 20 seconds until I was able to get over to it...  i hosed it down and opened it up after I got home and it was dry inside.  good luck to you, post up your results later in the season!

happyhooker

Quote from: CW33919 on February 27, 2020, 01:53:47 AM
Now that's funny right there ;D
Thanks Frank - made my evening!

That kid is my kind of angler. I would never discourage him a bit.  If he catches something with a "unique" bait, more power to him; if not, then he'll learn.  Between me, my wife and my brothers-in-law, we've used summer sausage chunks, chewing gum, mulberries, pieces of rubber band and anise-flavored doughballs, to name a few, and caught fish on all of them (carp love mulberries).

Frank

oc1

Mullet are usually caught on bread balls, but they will also take pieces of earthworm or sandworm.
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: happyhooker on February 28, 2020, 02:05:23 AM

.... and caught fish on all of them (carp love mulberries).

Frank

Oh Yes they do!! ... Jeff