Building a custom reel

Started by Sandbar33, January 25, 2011, 03:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandbar33

If you were going to build a custom ABU Garcia (6500) reel for yourself what model would you build off of? Would you start with a standard C3 and go from there or start with a Rocket? I'm gonna build 1 or 2 before spring.....Just curious as to any opinions anybody has. I have never owned a Rocket so any feedback on that would be great. Mainly looking for expense to value.

willybendit

Hi Sandbarr   i use the Abu 6500 range of reels  i have two green mag elites that i use for fishing   and i use the Blue elite for tournament casting  plus i have a (P TECH) alloy framed Abu 6500    on the tounament reels we fit ajustable mag brakes onto the lefthand side plate we also do away with the stardrag and fit a knurld drag replacement nut ill post some pictures of the reels i have  if your interested     ive just bought a Abu 6500 chrome rocket that im just starting to convert for tournament casting    tightlines Alain

Sandbar33

Quote from: willybendit on January 25, 2011, 04:34:41 PM
Hi Sandbarr   i use the Abu 6500 range of reels  i have two green mag elites that i use for fishing   and i use the Blue elite for tournament casting  plus i have a (P TECH) alloy framed Abu 6500    on the tounament reels we fit ajustable mag brakes onto the lefthand side plate we also do away with the stardrag and fit a knurld drag replacement nut ill post some pictures of the reels i have  if your interested     ive just bought a Abu 6500 chrome rocket that im just starting to convert for tournament casting    tightlines Alain

Yeah I would love to see them!.......I'm looking more towards building the "smoothest" casting reel I possibly can. Distance is important but not #1 priority......I want to have something in my hands I can cast lighter lures with as well.

alantani

carbontex and grease will cover the drag system.  for casting, i clean out the bearings and lube them with jim nomura's tsi 301.  you also have to clean out the levelwind assembly with carb cleaner and lube it with tsi 301.  that is the trick.  there is a guy locally that is into casting competitions and that is what i do for him.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

My "fixed" 6501 started out as a C4, it has the anti reverse dog from a C3, the original anti reverse bearing, greased carbontex drags and a Shimano Calcutta TE401 handle.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Sandbar33

Quote from: alantani on January 25, 2011, 06:39:42 PM
carbontex and grease will cover the drag system.  for casting, i clean out the bearings and lube them with jim nomura's tsi 301.  you also have to clean out the levelwind assembly with carb cleaner and lube it with tsi 301.  that is the trick.  there is a guy locally that is into casting competitions and that is what i do for him.  alan

Alan....If you had to upgrade 1 thing other than spool bearings to smooth out a reel (casting) what would you do? I'm not convinced a levelwind upgrade to a bearing is the answer. The idler cog gear with a bearing upgrade makes sense and it isn't that expensive.......I have also heard of a few guys drilling out the levelwind plastic bushing and spool pinion gear just a wee bit to reduce friction. Would that even be worth the hastle?

BTW I am definitely on the TSI 301 bandwagon.......Stuff is amazing

alantani

Do what's easy first.  Clean out the level wind assembly.   Also, I have a $10 single paddle Daiwa handle with a stainless steel arm.  It's great!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!