casting with conventional reels

Started by valkie, December 15, 2015, 05:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

more weight! At least 4 oz. Heavier if used with stiff rod.

thorhammer

excellent responses all; i think you arent throwing enough weight to properly overcome the spool inertia of that reel.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on December 16, 2015, 08:35:29 PM
excellent responses all; i think you arent throwing enough weight to properly overcome the spool inertia of that reel.
Isn't the problem the opposite of this? The spool is moving too fast, not too slow..... if not enough weight to overcome spool inertia wouldn't it just lessen the length of the cast and make a bird's nest less likely?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Practice,practice,practice.....That is name of game!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

valkie

I hear ya Sdlehr;
I have had some monumental nests in my time.
Even with the old tried and true Side cast and spinning reels.
Guess Im not much of a fisherman.

Never had this problem with hand lines.

But, practice make mediocre, Ill forget using overheads that are level winds and stick to braked Overheads.
Ill be waiting until my next birthday though, I used up all my brownie points getting a new off shore rod and reel.

Thanks again for your support and commiserations.

Perhaps one day I too with be able to cast like the pros.

life's pretty dull without fishing

sdlehr

Valkie, at one time or another, we've all dealt with birds nests. When it's the reel's fault and not the caster's fault then it's an easier solution... I think....
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

valkie

No Kayak for me, we have some nasty bities hanging around lately.
There have been several reports of large sharks bumping boats and chewing outboards in the saltwater lake where I fish.
Just yesterday while working in the Maritime Rescue we had a boat asking what to do when a shark is chewing your propeller.

Seems that the props, when in neutral, spin slowly and the flashing of the stainless prop attracts sharks.

I aint going out in anything smaller than my 5 meter boat
life's pretty dull without fishing

Reel 224

Quote from: valkie on December 17, 2015, 07:33:43 AM
There have been several reports of large sharks bumping boats and chewing outboards in the saltwater lake where I fish.
Just yesterday while working in the Maritime Rescue we had a boat asking what to do when a shark is chewing your propeller.

Seems that the props, when in neutral, spin slowly and the flashing of the stainless prop attracts sharks.

I'm with you on the boat idea, except I would not go out in anything less then 8 meters. ;)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

Quote from: valkie on December 17, 2015, 07:33:43 AM

A kayak has neither an outboard nor a prop! Go for it!  ;D ;D ;D
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

The reason the sharks bite at the motors is the sacrificial anode in the lower unit.
It gives off a pulse in the water that the sharks are attracted to.
I'm serious. It is their dinner bell.
I need to get some. ;D
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 19, 2015, 12:48:45 PM
The reason the sharks bite at the motors is the sacrificial anode in the lower unit.
It gives off a pulse in the water that the sharks are attracted to.
I'm serious. It is their dinner bell.
I need to get some. ;D
Very cool. The sacrificial anode is zinc. I was thinking about how this could be used to advantage in shark fishing.... but the zinc would have to be in contact with another metal for all this to work as it does in a boat. A strip of zinc lashed to the side of a bait wouldn't work. But a zinc strip in contact with an iron strip just might set up a current that could do the job! I'm gonna patent that idea..... not!
Sid Lehr

Newell Nut

You could try what I saw last week in Honolulu. Watched some very frugal fishermen making some nice cast using used spark plugs. Seriously though the level wind is not going to help you much on a hard distance cast and a nightmare to clean a birds nest out of it.
I need to practice with my 344 next week before my next HI trip.

jcool3

Quote from: valkie on December 15, 2015, 05:17:01 AM
Now let me get this clear from the start.
Im not the greatest, or even a moderate fisherman...............hopeless comes to mind.

Recently I decided to replace my old Alvey side cast surf reel with a conventional overhead reel.
My rod is a surf caster 12 foot.
STOP LAUGHING, ITS NOT FUNNY.

My first attempt resulted in a birds nest of truly humungious proportions.
STOP LAUGHING

An hour and several hundred of feet of fishing line later I prepared for my second cast.
This time I was far more careful, making sure my thumb was in the right place and that there was some tension on the reel.
Casting with much less effort I watched as the sinker arched beautifully toward the breakers, somewhat mystified when it suddenly stopped.
Glancing back at the reel, I observed a beautiful birds nest that any bird would have been proud of.
STOP LAUGHING.

Now I use a baitcaster reel for normal fishing and I rarely get a nest or any such problems.
But I cant seem to get the overhead to work for me.
Could anyone help me with some tips or tricks?
Ill give it a few more goes and then the reel will find itself permanently under water.
The birds nest was somewhat of a lesser extent, but still considerable.

pull out  the amount of line you want to cast.  take masking tape and tape the remaining line on the spool down.  2 turns of masking tape should do it.
This prevents backlash as the line isn't going anywhere.   If you hook a big fish, the line will cut thru the masking tape.
You may have other problems with the reel, but hopefully this will help.

sdlehr

pull out  the amount of line you want to cast.  take masking tape and tape the remaining line on the spool down.  2 turns of masking tape should do it.
This prevents backlash as the line isn't going anywhere.   If you hook a big fish, the line will cut thru the masking tape.
You may have other problems with the reel, but hopefully this will help.[/quote]
Interesting idea. Obviously, if you plan on catching more than one fish you will need to bring a roll of masking tape with you  ;)
Sid Lehr