Clicking makaira 16sea

Started by shanara, December 20, 2015, 05:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanara

I have a makaira 16sea that makes a clicking noise when I turn the handle in high speed only with or without the drag engaged (spool turning or not turning) it appears to be about 4 clicks for each turn of the handle. I also hear the clicking if I remove the right hand side plate and turn the handle with the pinion gears in position, I hear no noise if I remove the pinion gears.
(My other 3 Makaira's- other sizes do not make this noise although they are noticeably smoother in low gear compared to high gear)
Any ideas to what is causing the clicking reel has only been used a couple of times and I can't remember if it clicked when new.
Regards Gary

sundaytrucka

If it is clicking with the side plate off of the frame, then I would first check the bearing in the sideplate. See if it is rough, or has a rough spot, could be the click noise.

Second would be to check in-between every tooth of the gears and pinion, something foreign can cause a momentum stutter on the handle or a click noise.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

alantani

look for a small piece of junk caught in the teeth of the pinion gear.  it might be really tiny.  you'll find something, remove it and the problem will be fixed, if you are lucky. it might also be damage to the actual pinion gear itself.  then you will have to replace it go get rid of the noise. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

shanara

Well I took it apart again and found that when I put the high speed pinion gear only in the right hand side plate and turned the handle - no clicking and smooth but when I put the low speed pinion in also and turn the handle the clicking is there and it feels a bit bit coarser. I think it is something connected to the fact that when you have the reel in high gear the high speed main gear drives the high speed pinion and the low speed pinion (because it is ridgidly fixed to the high speed pinion) is turning the low speed gear which is spinning freely on its shaft. I think it is somithing connected to the difference in speeds of the two main gears(I stripped it down and could not see a thing that could cause the noise)
Anyhow I greased the gears put it all back together and it still clicks in high gear
All the gear teeth looked good no visible damage anywhere I will live with it unless someone had the same issue and made it go away.
Regards Gary

shanara

Sorry I forgot to say thank you both for your advice and best wishes for Christmast
Regards Gary

shanara

A set of low speed drive and pinion gears fixed the clicking when reeling in high speed, thank you Eddie at okuma.