TUTORIAL: Okuma CLX-300L

Started by Bryan Young, June 15, 2010, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

To anyone using these reels, how are they holding up?  How do they compare to the Penn 320gti?

Porthos

The 320GTI's metal spool automatically puts it in a class above the Classic. IMHO you will need to look at the Convectors to be comparing apples to apples. See: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=774.0

That said, unless the four holes on the CLX's top bar significantly increases the frame's rigidity, the CLX's should be fished close to it's line ratings. So the CLX-200La would be 20 or 25lb test max with 7-8lbs max drag (would refrain from attempting Okuma's listed 12lbs max drag) . Have fished the CL-xx0L's, CL-xx2L's, MA-45DX's, SD-55L's, CV-30L, and CT-xxL's, and the CL's are the ones would I hesitate to push too far above specs.

The 320GTI would be easier to get parts for; for the Okuma's you will probably need to upgrade the factory washers to carbon fiber drag washers.

The CL's bushings will be good if there is a high probability that the reel could be dunked (e.g., kayak fishing).

Tantalus

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 15, 2010, 07:32:30 AM
Reinstall the star.  Grease the handle and install over the gear shaft.  Grease the handle nut and install, then brush grease on handle nut and handle nut retainer screw hole

Tighten handle nut and reinstall handle nut retainer and you are done and test the reel to make sure it works okay, then you are done.

Oh, about the reel, the reel is a easy to service, and filled with stainless steel and brass alloys along with graphite frame and side plates, and brass allow bushing instead of bearings.  This translates to a dependable reel in nasty conditions for line probably up to 30# or so.  Use, wash, and reuse without frequent re-greasing.  You may probably get away with blasting the inside of of both side plates with Corrosion X after ever trip and you should be good to go for another trip, and serviced yearly as most reels.

I hope this helps you as it help me discover that posters of tutorials are awesome.  It's  hard to get all of the details, especially taking pics with greasy hands, then trying to communicate what you are looking at.  All of you do excellent jobs and I need to practice.  Thanks for allowing me to share.

Hi all from Auckland New Zealand.
Great tutorial, Alan. Very useful. The clutch on mine is jammed, and after following your tutorial, have stripped the reel and found the culprit.
New parts (2 X $0.99 each!) ordered.
Photo sequence to follow.
Tantalus

Tantalus

Photos of the problem.....

Tantalus

More... needed a hammer to dislodge it :)

JoeR

HELP!!!!!  I did my Bro-in-law a favor by servicing his spinning reels before our trip to the salt next month and all went well.  Then I got the crazy idea to tear into his Okuma XT. he said last year they had a Shark on it and the drag was cranked all the way down and it still pulled them around. Now enter my idea to surprise him by installing carbon fiber drag in it. I read this tutorial and thought I could pull off the surprise.  The surprise is on me, I have worked with it until I've pulled my hair out. I think I need professional help getting it back together right before our trip. I have had it together many times, it just doesn't work right, I know when I'm whipped.   >:(   Is there anyone here that can bail me out ? I must have it by 7/3/17    This freebie fun service job has gotten expensive fast.   Let me know guys.... Thanks Joe

Gfish

Do you wanna send it to someone, or use the forum post/replies to do it with our help?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JoeR

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to find someone here to send it to that could put it together correctly for me in time for our trip next month.  I just looked up the cost of a new one and the new carbon fiber drag washers cost $10 plus almost that for shipping so I'm halfway into a new reel. lol  Wanted to pull off a neat surprise for my fishing pal bro-in-law but it seems it may have backfired.  I hope someone out there can fix it for me, he'll have a new reel again with carbon fiber drag. Bring on those Sharks !

Bryan Young

Quote from: JoeR on June 09, 2017, 06:39:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to find someone here to send it to that could put it together correctly for me in time for our trip next month.  I just looked up the cost of a new one and the new carbon fiber drag washers cost $10 plus almost that for shipping so I'm halfway into a new reel. lol  Wanted to pull off a neat surprise for my fishing pal bro-in-law but it seems it may have backfired.  I hope someone out there can fix it for me, he'll have a new reel again with carbon fiber drag. Bring on those Sharks !
Hi Joe,

If no one jumps, I could do it for you but I'm leaving for a fishing trip and will not be back for another week.  I'll PM you my mailing address.  Just let me know if it's coming. 

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

It's a pretty simple reel. I'm guessing you're probably not getting the AR dog in the proper position when putting it back together. Also make sure the clutch lever is in the correct position. Simple things I know but it happens to us all. Good luck.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

JoeR

Thanks for the reply, I've had it back and forth many times and it seems like everything is in its place but I can't find any exact pics online, it's a 200 Classic XT and it looks a little different than this tutorial but very close. I suspect ou're right I am making a very silly error but time is against me and I need to get it fixed sooner than later.

Porthos

Porthos

The only part that I found "tricky" part with the Okuma CL-, CV-, CT-, and SD- reels was the anti-reverse; if the dog was slightly off, it pops out in one way or another when inserting in the main gear/bridge...