How old is my Avet reel?

Started by stubert, December 25, 2015, 12:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stubert

I just purchased a used Avet JX6/3 #10163. I would like to know when it was made. Could anyone tell me? Also, are there any upgrades I should do?   New guy here, Thanks in advance, Stu

russ1962

You can Email Avet with the Serial # and they will let you know when it was made.

SoCalAngler

I have a JX 6/3 with number 13025 on it that I bought around 9 years ago, I think.

Does your reel have engraved or etched side plates? The earliest Avet models had engraving and not etching. I think I bought my reel about a year or two after the engraved side plates went away. There were a few changes that happened in that time period.

Most of the mods in that time don't really carry over to the earlier reels.

Grease your drag washer and other than that not much should be done. I use my JX 6/3 as a 40 lb test reel, meaning I set my drags at 10 lbs at strike and if I need more drag for any reason I can move the lever past strike to get more drag and still be below the max drag for those reels.

Just be careful if you do this because if setting the lever at 10 lbs at strike and if you move the lever all the way to full you will exceed the max drag settings for these reels. With my reel and 10 lbs at strike when I barely move the lever past strike I get a 2 lb jump in drag, which is still ok but as you can see it will be very easy to go over the max drag of these reels, by the way 15 lbs is max with the newer design and slightly less with the older models.