Jigging technique

Started by newport, December 30, 2015, 04:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

I'm not really a jigging person, as I usually fish from the surf. And when I do jig, it is mostly from the bridge. I have been on a handful of headboats this year and really enjoyed it. Next year I am planning on focusing my fishing efforts on boats. (I been getting disillusioned about surf fishing, anyway). So the way I jig, I usually bring my rod up, and when I drop down, I follow my jig down, so there's no slack. I do it this way to detect bites better, but I read a saltwater magazine, and this guy was saying to drop the rod down, and wait for the jig to take up slack. It got me thinking what method would be better or if it even matters. So what's everyones method of jigging and any advice, info I should know about? Thanks and Happy New Years.

Bill B

NP...when I jig for salmon here on the Sacramento River, depth is about 25'-30'....using a 2 oz. jig on 20 lb test mono, I pull up sharply about 3', I'm looking to get the action on the upswing, then let down slowly keeping in contact with the jig.  I have a very specific depth I'm fishing at....usually about 2' from the bottom and then 3' up from there.

Jigging from a boat in the deeper water, I will let someone else chime in on that topic. Good luck.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

STRIPER LOU

I'm guessing your fishing one of the headboats in Point Judith RI for cod and seabass?
Sounds like your technique is good. Codfish seem to like a slow moving jig so try easier on the upswing and a natural downfall keeping a tight line as you mentioned. If the bottom conditions will let you get away with it, don't be afraid to bounce the bottom.
Also, 24 to 30" up you might try a deer hair teaser/fly or plastic grub. Blue, pink, and green if its a fly or grub, seems to be some of the better colors choices. When the cod are feeding on herring and up off the bottom a 6 to 8 oz  diamong jig with a very slow retrieve can do some real damage!
They have been killing the cod on the front side of Block!
Good luck and New Years greetings form Ct.
The best,  ..  Lou

newport

yep, planning on going on a cod trip this wed or next, but not in RI, but in NJ. People seem to be catching a handful of cod while going after seabass. Now that seabass season is over, I guess the boats are switching to cod and pollock. I do have a couple diamond jigs, but also sardines and flutter jigs that I originally bought for tuna. I guess those would work, too. When I don't catch anything for a while, I start to doubt myself. Thanks for the tip. You think I should go big (6"+)on the grubs for a teaser?

bluefish69

NP

Do you know the boat will be anchored over a Wreck, Reef or Rocky bottom. 7' rods are a min. You can hit bottom & lift let it flutter down. You can cast out & hit bottom then slowly reel 10-15 turns of the reel, then drop down & start again. After the first 1/2 hour your better using bait on a high low rig with a Grub Tail & bait on the top hook. If the Dogs are Barking remove the top hook.

Not sure but in NJ you might be able to still keep Porgies. Someone will answer.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

newport

Hmmm, I think it's wreck fishing, but that could change. Why is it better to switch to bait fishing after half an hour? I did tie up some top and bottom rigs with both 60 and 80lb flurocarbon with both 7/0 shaugnessy and 8/0 circle hooks. I didn't tip with grubs, but did put 2-3 glow beads in front of each hook; but that's probably pointless, since it's going to be during the day, mostly. I'm hoping it's a jig bite, but i am prepared for bait fishing, too. Was going to bring a 6/0, but just got an email from the captain. He told me it was overkill, so now going to bring my penn 320gt2 spooled with 30lb mono and maybe a shimano tld star 15/30s. I could bring my 3/0 senator or 309 levelwind, but I hate the small handle. What reels do you use? Thanks.

STRIPER LOU

Yes, I would go with the 6" grub. Even small cod are aggressive enough to take it easily. Don't overlook a large bucktail fly for a teaser either. The tld star is what I use and it works very well.
Good luck,  ..  Lou

bluefish69

I'm a Newell Guy so my reel of choice would be a "P" or "G" 332 with 5-1 gears. Did you ask your Captain how deep you would be fishing, could be up to 200'. Jig Fishing I use nothing less then 4-1 Gears - bait fishing the 309 would work. My last trip to Montauk I used a stock 112 worked great even on double hook ups. Most fish are 10-12 Lbs. so your hooks might be a little large, I would fish 5/0 size. There might be Ling on the bottom & you don't want to miss any, yes they are toothless [Red Hake]. As far as line - I use no more then 40# & I have caught Cod over 40# & Pollack over 30# on this line.

Mike

newport

thanks everyone for their input. I am going out tommorrow. Hopefully I can post a report.

bluefish69

Which boat are you going on????? My pick would be the Voyager.

Mike

newport

Yup, the Voyager. Never been on there , but the heated handrails sound nice.

bluefish69

I fished on that boat when she was the Doris Mae. Bunks weren't bad back then. Captain Jeff bought the boat this year & the old Voyager came to L.I.  The boat can cruise at 20 Kts. with no problem. Talk to Mel about his web site [Mel's Place]. There is a good Tackle Shop across the street.

Mike

newport

Well, no cod for the table, but still a great day. I did manage a 20" throwback, and if I remember correctly, there were only two keeper cod on the whole boat -- the biggest being about 6 -7 lbs. I think the out of season black seabass we were catching were as big or very close, and they gave plenty of rod bending action; as well as spiny dogfish, and porgies. The new NJ record seabass was actually caught on this boat [Voyager] back in December.

I did feel sick on the way out to the fishing grounds, so the heated handrails were nice, since I was outside the heated cabin most times. Once the fishing started I felt 100% okay.

No action on the jig, and I gave it a good try every now and then when ever I got tired of hauling up big doggies 200-300 feet up. At one point I thought I had a big cod on, and was telling everyone I got something really nice on. It ended up being a big conger eel attached to my rig I had lost previously. I snagged that, and a throwback cod was attached to my bottom hook.

The captain gave us a good shot, and we stayed overtime, but the cod just weren't there. I eventually gave up on cod and switched to a three hook mackerel rig with small pieces of clam, and caught a couple nice porgies to eat.

Overall, it was an enjoyable time, and fished with a nice group of regulars. The mates were also very helpful and constantly on the lookout for anyone who needed help.

I don't think this report deserved a new thread, so I just posted it here for those who may be interested.

ALASKAFISHMAN

Whats the best jigging method?  The one that is catching the fish that day, at that spot, at that time.  A lot of it depends on the lure being used.  The target fish, tides, drifting or not...  The point here is mix it up and try different methods.  Up here in Alaska, I jig most of the time in the salt.  Rock fish, ling, halibut & salmon.  Sometimes the halibut like a slow 4ft jig.  sometimes they prefer a resting jig just drifting on the tide.  At other times it is a quick twitch.  Rock fish, well they are not a picky at least not up here.  Black rock fish will hit just about any presentation you throw at them.  Lings like a slow one to two feet jigging action on grub tails, but like a fast free fall action on flat fall jigs.  mix it up and you will quickly find out what they like that day.
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

FatTuna

I've got a few techniques for jigging. It depends on the day and on the species targeted. Sometimes I yo-yo jig, varying the speed. Sometimes just a sharp lift and let down slowly. Strangely, sometimes just dead sticking can work the best.

I do well with diamond/Norwegian jigs with the corkscrew tubes. I have them in sizes ranging for 1/2oz to 24oz. Heavier jigs if you are drifting and fishing deeper.

You can add a teaser on a dropper loop above your jig for another opportunity.
If you are jigging bait, you can put a small diamond or deadly dick on the bottom of the sabiki rig.

Jigging a bucktail can be productive. I just hop it off the bottom.

Jigs that flutter on the way down can sometimes make a huge difference. Hopkins, deadly dicks, kastmasters.

For certain species, slow jigging a big leadhead with a soft plastic tail can be the ticket.