Main Menu

Ma Deuce

Started by Bill B, January 09, 2016, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

After reading the thread regarding the copper pipe jigs for lings, I got me thinking....why leave well enough alone..  ;D.  So, on a cold wet Saturday afternoon I present the Ma Deuce, BMG 50 cal, Ling Killer.

I started with Lake City Arsenal 2002 vintage, fired and deprimed case, completely drilled out the primer pocket , 9 oz of lead, after estimating the volume using the water displacement method, with an extra ounce for  good measure, and some steel wire.

Using a nail as an arbor, I bent a 9" length or wire, ending up 4 5/8" end to end, a BMG case measures approx.  3 7/8" long and weighs approx. 2 oz.

Hot glued the wire into the primer pocket to keep it centered.

Wrapped the case with lots of paper towels to keep it stationary in a soup can, and wet the towels with water to prevent the towels from burning when I poured the lead. BEING CAREFUL TO NOT GET ANY WATER IN THE CASE!!! A pre-mature detonation is Not Good.  >:(

Using heavy gloves, foot and eye protection, poured the lead into the case....when completely cooled, some brasso, a few hoochi skirts,  an extra large treble and now I have a Hoochi Ma Deuce... Final weight 10 oz and 6" long.

Hey I know Sal's Tank is on a World Wide Tour....how's it doing for ammo?  ;D  Next up...need to find some 30mm brass so I can really drop the bomb on some lings... ::)....Bill   And for those that live on bottom side of the equator...it's reversible....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Bill now you are talking.  Good job on that lure.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

I should copyright that name..."Hoochie Ma Deuce"..... ;D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Unless someone else already has, I would bet you could patent that idea. I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, but I, for one, don't have a patent to my name.....

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

whalebreath

Roddy Hays has been making Tuna trolling lures from .50 calibre shells for a while now I have a few that havn't been dragged yet but it's coming

Shark Hunter

Great Job on the "Hoochie Ma Duece". ;D
I have a few 20mm shells around somewhere.
When I was in the Navy, I tried to get a 5" 54" shell, but they wouldn't let us have them.
They would chip the deck when they hit.
Life is Good!

Bill B

Filling a 5" with lead and dropping for lings just might be the ticket ;D....but would need one of your shark killers to retrieve it....could call it the Plus Size Hoochi ma Deuce.....thanks guys for the kind words....Bill

jcool3

Great idea! I made a couple copper pipe jigs filled with lead and big treble hooks on the bottom.  Unfortunately they hung up immediately  .... gone forever.  Hooks coming out the
side or assist hooks from the top would be alternative.  If you want to avoid pouring lead, fill the casing with lead shot.

Bill B

JC....Thanks for the heads up....might try it with assist hooks instead.....could trebles be used as assist hooks?

jcool3

Quote from: TARFU on January 12, 2016, 05:49:59 PM
JC....Thanks for the heads up....might try it with assist hooks instead.....could trebles be used as assist hooks?

trebles can be used as assist hook ... I would put a hoochie skirt over the hook.

Ron Jones

That is great! 10oz is a little light for a Ling pipe jig but I bet it would work killer in shallower water. I bet an 06 case would be 3 ounces or so. I can get a lot of 06 cases for the price of a sinker mold.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

What a great jig, the ma deuce,  I likey very much.