Black side plate 4/0, upgrades?

Started by Sharkin904, January 22, 2016, 02:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

Recently bought a 3 reel lot on eBay, came with an older black side plate 4/0. I'm aware they aren't interchangeable with the 113h's, but can I at least run a SS sleeve, 5 stack and a power handle? Going to be a bottom fishing rig for snapper/grouper. Should do the trick and it was dirt cheap.

Tightlines667

I would use a SS dog with that sleeve as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I did that 5 stack mod on one of those. I got the parts from Scott's. Mo can hook you up on that. Not sure about the ss sleeve.
Life is Good!

David Hall

Sleeve is no problem.  I upgrade my fishing partners black 113 with SS sleeve and Bryan's drag Kit.  i practically begged him to let me upgrade the gears but he refused the offer, he likes his stock setup so all I did was clean it up install the sleeve and new drag kit and give it the basic AT treatment and off we went. 
Going to clean and lube it again this year.

DaBigOno

Yes, black 113 uses a 98-60 sleeve, same as a Jigmaster.   It normally comes with 3 drag washers that can be upgraded to 5 drag washers.  

Search for George's Grouper Special
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Army_of_One

I thought the "H" was better for snapper?  By that I mean, you can retrieve the line faster to prevent them from getting back in their hole.  That being the case can't you just put an SS 113H gear set in, as long as the pinion is swapped too?
Another day in Paradise!

BryanC

Quote from: Army_of_One on January 22, 2016, 01:05:57 PM
I thought the "H" was better for snapper?  By that I mean, you can retrieve the line faster to prevent them from getting back in their hole.  That being the case can't you just put an SS 113H gear set in, as long as the pinion is swapped too?

I don't believe the gear sleeve will match, so that would prevent you from putting 113H gears in a 113.  The spool shaft diameter may be different as well.

I think the reason for going with 113 is the low gear ratio anyway.  Otherwise he would just use a 113H, right?

I personally like a low gear ratio for grouper fishing, though I understand fishing styles and preferences vary.  To me, 3.25:1 is a bit on the high side.  I prefer my Avet HX in low gear (2.4, I think) over a 113H because of the gear ratio, even though the 113H has a better drag for grouper fishing.  The low gear ratio is specific to grouper though (for me).  I use much lighter tackle for snapper than I do for grouper and a high gear ratio is fine for that.

Army_of_One

Quote from: BryanC on January 22, 2016, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: Army_of_One on January 22, 2016, 01:05:57 PM

I don't believe the gear sleeve will match, so that would prevent you from putting 113H gears in a 113.  The spool shaft diameter may be different as well.

I think the reason for going with 113 is the low gear ratio anyway.  Otherwise he would just use a 113H, right?

I personally like a low gear ratio for grouper fishing, though I understand fishing styles and preferences vary.  To me, 3.25:1 is a bit on the high side.  I prefer my Avet HX in low gear (2.4, I think) over a 113H because of the gear ratio, even though the 113H has a better drag for grouper fishing.  The low gear ratio is specific to grouper though (for me).  I use much lighter tackle for snapper than I do for grouper and a high gear ratio is fine for that.

I completely understand wanting the non H for grouper.  I was wondering about snapper use and I just figured if he wanted to get SS gears, sleeves, etc., he could get all H version stuff easier(maybe cheaper?)and just have black side plates. 
Another day in Paradise!

RowdyW

"H" parts won't fit in the black plates. You either have to have one or the other. Since he already has the 113 4/0 (black) he might as well work with that unless he is after really big grouper then it's time to upgrade to a 114 6/0 or 114H or even a 115 9/0.    RUDY