Penn 975cs

Started by Mattman NZ, January 22, 2016, 10:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

Hi guys I picked up this little gem off our local Trademe site today for a good price - Done the total strip and cleaned every thing and gave the bearings a good soak and blast with the air and put a few drops of light machine oil in them - I noticed inside the tension cap theres a bushing - part no 26 - I wondered to myself why Penn put a bushing in there instead of a bearing - I went through my spares and and found out the bearing for the 505  Jigmaster - 1/8 X 3/8 X 5/32 fits perfectly inside the plate housing - I was getting 60-65 sec free spool - and now with the bearing in I'm getting 95+ seconds of free spool with the casting break blocks disengaged.        

Bearing and bush-bearing
[/URL
Regards
Matt...

Bryan Young

That is one nice find Matt.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

nice, i have always wanted one of those.

sdlehr

Quote from: Mattman NZ on January 22, 2016, 10:57:30 AMI wondered to myself why Penn put a bushing in there instead of a bearing
Maybe for the surf fishermen.... was this the intended use?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Mattman NZ

Thanks guys - I bought it to put my collection but who knows maybe one day Ill take it out and put it to the test - Ive seen somewhere to keep the casting weights down below 3oz - I usually use a minimum of 5oz when surfcasting - And to answer your question Sid - I don't see any reason why it cant be used as a surf real - Here's some more information from  Scott's.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennIntBaitcaster.aspx#specs
Rgds

Matt...

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Shark Hunter

You do good work Matt. ;)
That is a good looking reel.
Life is Good!

Islandgypsy

Thanks for that, Matt. Have a 975 I use for Salmon and will definitely give your discovery a try..

Greg

boon

Quote from: Mattman NZ on January 22, 2016, 06:14:29 PM
Thanks guys - I bought it to put my collection but who knows maybe one day Ill take it out and put it to the test - Ive seen somewhere to keep the casting weights down below 3oz - I usually use a minimum of 5oz when surfcasting - And to answer your question Sid - I don't see any reason why it cant be used as a surf real - Here's some more information from  Scott's.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennIntBaitcaster.aspx#specs

Rgds

Matt...

So you're "dlightful" huh?

What a bargain!

Mattman NZ

Yes boon - delightful is my wife's username on Tm but as you can see I use it more than she dose - were you one of the 17 watches ? - couldn't believe he lowered the reserve by $50-00  on the 2nd  week - he had heaps watchers but no one put a bid in on it - did a search online and Marine deals were selling them for around $600-00 - so I think I got an excellent deal .
I loaded it up with 15lb Maxi-strike and 20' of 25lb leader and casting 3oz around 120 meters with two break blocks engaged and using a 25 year old Killwell blue series 12' surf-rock rod .

Rgds

Matt...  

Mattman NZ

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 22, 2016, 06:29:32 PM
You do good work Matt. ;)
That is a good looking reel.
Thanks Shark-hunter - I'm on my feet now - seven years in a wheelchair was seven years too long - I'm making up for lost time and I might have to change my avatar pic lol .  ;D

Shark Hunter

That is Great News Matt! ;D
I am a firm believer in what goes around, comes around.
Good things happen to good people.
You just have to wait for it to come around. ;)
Life is Good!

wallacewt

good one matt
the impossible has been achieved
miracle may take a little longer
BUT!!!
cheers mate

mizmo67

I've always assumed they were trying to keep the cost down with that bushing, it makes no other sense. That's a nice addition to the free spool!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Mattman NZ

Quote from: mizmo67 on February 05, 2016, 08:46:29 PM
I've always assumed they were trying to keep the cost down with that bushing, it makes no other sense. That's a nice addition to the free spool!
I've just serviced my new Squall 15 and noticed even the main gear stud uses a bearing - and the 375 uses a bush - just makes you wonder they went all out bearing wise on a cheeper reel than the 375 International wich costs three times more.
Ill have to take the bush in to see if they can match up a bearing for it .
Rgds

Matt...