Stainless Steel Spacer for Jigmaster 500/501

Started by BryanC, January 22, 2016, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanC

I decided to try something a little different for my gear sleeve spacers.  I bought a 1 foot length of ½" diameter x 0.049" wall tubing in 316SS material.  The inside diameter was a little too small to slide over the gear sleeve, so I use a 3/8" sanding tip on my dremel and lightly sanded the ID at the end of the tube while rotating it.  I did this until it would slide over the gear sleeve with little effort, but still a very close fit.

Then I cut off the end of the tube that I had just sanded the ID.  I cut it at about 12.5 mm, and sanded it down to the length I wanted by hand (11.4 mm for this reel).

At 12.7 mm outside dia vs 11.9 mm of the original Penn spacer, it is a much tighter fit to the sideplate opening.  I think it is good enough for my purposes.  I like the look of the SS.  I have one installed in my Cortez-plate 501, and still need to make on for the 500.

Here are pics:

Original Penn gear sleeve is 11.9 mm outside diameter.  I don't know why, but photobucket won't let me rotate this pic to the correct orientation.

New 316ss sleeve is 12.7 mm outside diameter

I sanded the length of this one down to 11.4 mm

Nice fit in sideplate.  There is a shadow on the upper-right side of the photo, not a large gap.  The sleeve is centered in the opening.

BMITCH

Nice work...where did you find the SS tubing??

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

swill88

BryanC

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.