Going to Cabo San Lucas

Started by Marcq, January 25, 2016, 05:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

This coming Saturday, will be staying at the marina. Of course I'm planing on doing some fishing and would like to rent those Panga type fishing boat, any recommendation who to deal with? where to get a fishing license? last time I went I didn't need any since I was surf fishing

Also, how's the fishing at this time of the year? And which lures to bring

Thanks, Marc..

alantani

never been to cabo, but hopefully someone will chime in.  have a great trip!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Yesterday my friend in San Quintin, Baja north, caught 6 YT and was back at noon. Big swells and high winds.

Good luck!

akfish

It's been a few years since I've fished Cabo, but I always fished with Ozzie on El Tapir. He's a gruff old man but always put us on fish. This time of year there will be striped marlin close off shore and sierra mackerel, pargo and others in shore. You'll likely be fishing bait (sardines if they are available, scad or mackerel if not). I would always bring some lures to fish and then leave them with Ozzie -- Rapalas are always appreciated.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

On the East Cape there has been great fishing lately. Dorado, Sails, Marlin and some Wahoo caught which is very strange for this time of year. On the Pacific side Cabo San Lucas has had some good fishing too but you have to understand this time of year it is windy. Pangas may not make it out, heck even bigger sport fishers may not chance it so try to be as flexible as you can and not commit to I want to fish this or that day but go when the conditions are right.

With it being so different this year it is very hard to say what lures to bring but Rapalas, Mirrorlures work good for hard bodied trolling lures, I like the deepest diving ones this time of year, also skirted lures like Zukers or Pline can work well for more of a surface bite.

If you have more of a inshore type of trip, and this time of year it is very likely, live bait setups are deadly as well as some smaller heavier type of metal jigs like Salas 6X Jr's or the Megabait type of metal lures. I now fish Luna Jigs for the for a Megabait type of jig.

As far a getting a license if I remember correctly you can pick up one at the marina.

whalebreath

Contact Luis Olascoaga

http://www.thebluemarlinsportfishing.com/

I've known him for decades very solid operator if he doesn't have a panga for rent he knows someone who does.

Marcq

Thanks for all the good info/feedback guys 8)

Going to check the weather for sure, fortunately I'm staying a week, I don't have to go fishing everyday, and when I do it will be inshore. Will be traveling light

Marc..

theswimmer

If you have your own PFD , take it.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Marcq

TomT

In most Baja ports, the Panga fishermen will have everything you need on board (poles, reels, lures etc) you will need for a successful fishing trip so I wouldn't bring anything down for a trip like yours.  Like So Cal says go when conditions are better.  About 20 to 30 yrs ago we used to dry camp near Cabo San Lucas and usually had no problems this time of yr getting in and out with our own Alum fishing boats--now it is almost impossible to find a dry camping spot any where near there, as they are now all filled with hotels.  My advice is if you really want a marlin (who doesn't) you might want to go up to a 30'+ sport fisher and share the price with some other fishermen.  But if a Panga is your choice, and if you are not bi-lingual--try to find a guide that is so you can communicate with him.  They are usually willing to do the type of fishing you want.  That being said, most of the time I am not in my 16' alum, I go out with my favorite Panga fisherman in my area--which is not Cabo San Lucas.  Usually when I go down, I am there for 3 to 4 months at a time.  So 1 time a week in my boat and once a week with Beto, I am usually a happy fisherman.  But when I was younger I wanted to go out every time the ocean was flat enough.  Good Luck and Great Fishing!!
TomT

El Pescador

Marc!

I was in Cabo last week, fished two days, one day on a panga!  It was set up via the Hotel Buena Vista on the East Cape,

http://www.hotelbuenavista.com/n/ 

Don't remember the captain's name, but his english was very good, equipment very good, new 115 hp engine and quality super panga!  And we caught fish!!!

We began the day by going just to the left of the Cabo Arch (El Arco) and this was not on the agenda!!!!  Very cool.

We caught Sierra Mackerel, Pargo and had on 2 Wahoos!  for just seconds.

Give him a try!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Marcq

Quote from: TomT on January 26, 2016, 05:05:30 AM
In most Baja ports, the Panga fishermen will have everything you need on board (poles, reels, lures etc) you will need for a successful fishing trip so I wouldn't bring anything down for a trip like yours.  Like So Cal says go when conditions are better.  About 20 to 30 yrs ago we used to dry camp near Cabo San Lucas and usually had no problems this time of yr getting in and out with our own Alum fishing boats--now it is almost impossible to find a dry camping spot any where near there, as they are now all filled with hotels.  My advice is if you really want a marlin (who doesn't) you might want to go up to a 30'+ sport fisher and share the price with some other fishermen.  But if a Panga is your choice, and if you are not bi-lingual--try to find a guide that is so you can communicate with him.  They are usually willing to do the type of fishing you want.  That being said, most of the time I am not in my 16' alum, I go out with my favorite Panga fisherman in my area--which is not Cabo San Lucas.  Usually when I go down, I am there for 3 to 4 months at a time.  So 1 time a week in my boat and once a week with Beto, I am usually a happy fisherman.  But when I was younger I wanted to go out every time the ocean was flat enough.  Good Luck and Great Fishing!!

Yeah! Finding someone that speaks English is a must, will be fishing with my gear, need to test

Thanks a bunch Tom!

Marc..
TomT

Marcq

Quote from: El Pescador on January 26, 2016, 05:21:45 PM
Marc!

I was in Cabo last week, fished two days, one day on a panga!  It was set up via the Hotel Buena Vista on the East Cape,

http://www.hotelbuenavista.com/n/ 

Don't remember the captain's name, but his english was very good, equipment very good, new 115 hp engine and quality super panga!  And we caught fish!!!

We began the day by going just to the left of the Cabo Arch (El Arco) and this was not on the agenda!!!!  Very cool.

We caught Sierra Mackerel, Pargo and had on 2 Wahoos!  for just seconds.

Give him a try!

Wayne
That would be perfect!! His boat is in Cabo I guess?
Thanks Wayne

Marc..

El Pescador

Yes, the panga & captain are in Cabo.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Marcq

Quote from: El Pescador on January 26, 2016, 06:28:45 PM
Yes, the panga & captain are in Cabo.

Wayne

Thanks to your pictures I'll be looking for his boat  8)

Marc..