Best method for extracting stuck pinon bearing?

Started by FatTuna, January 26, 2016, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: handi2 on January 27, 2016, 04:54:22 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on January 27, 2016, 04:00:36 PM
I use something similar to Lee's miniature crowbar except I made mine out of piece from a stainless steel welding rod.  I have made the lip a little longer and I thread the crowbar though the spool shaft hole in the side plate, wedge the tip of the miniature crowbar under the lip of the bearing and flip the sideplate and place it on my workbench.  The I give the crow bar a little whack from my hammer.  I move the crowbar around while pushing the lip further and further under the bearing.  I have yet been unsuccessful.  Also, TSI 321 on the bearing's edges where it comes in contact with the sideplate, let sit for a few minutes, helps a lot.

Bryan you should have these made!
I'll post a picture when I get home.  I have 2 sizes based on 2 different welding rods that Alan gave me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 27, 2016, 04:00:36 PM
I use something similar to Lee's miniature crowbar except I made mine out of piece from a stainless steel welding rod.  I have made the lip a little longer and I thread the crowbar though the spool shaft hole in the side plate, wedge the tip of the miniature crowbar under the lip of the bearing and flip the sideplate and place it on my workbench.  The I give the crow bar a little whack from my hammer.  I move the crowbar around while pushing the lip further and further under the bearing.  I have yet been unsuccessful.  Also, TSI 321 on the bearing's edges where it comes in contact with the sideplate, let sit for a few minutes, helps a lot.

Thanks Brian. I can visualize the procedure. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the device if aren't too busy.

swill88

Thanks Brian. I can visualize the procedure. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the device if aren't too busy.

[/quote]

X2.... 1/8",3/16"?

steve

RTT

This sound a little crazy, but I was able to be move a stuck bearing using a cork screw.  I basically put the tip of the cork screw between then bearing and the head plate and rotated the tip around the bearing. This basically wedged the bearing out. 

Good luck,
Ray

gstours

My method of attack would be to heat the bearing and surrounding area first, a few times just kinda smoking hot.  let it cool and apply of course some penetrating oil of your choice after the cooling cycle.  This must be done a couple of times.    the heat is helpfull in breaking the corrosion,crud,salt, or whatever is in between the two dissimilar materials.   then use your puller method as others have described.   OR
   I have drilled a small hole in the outside of the sideplate directly over the race if possible,  start with a small hole and enlarge it to the punch diameter,   then punch it,    if its really, really stuck.  But thats a last ditch effort.  later the hole can be plugged with a sst, screw w. heavy grease and its ready for next time.

Bryan Young

The thicker puller/pusher is 3.18 mm diameter and the thinner is 2.38 mm diameter.

The finger loop is so I can pull on the bearing and there is enough area for me to tap it with a little hammer is needed to puch a bearing out.

The loop is braised so it will not get caught on anything.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D