Upgraded Speedmaster IV

Started by Yogi_fish808, January 31, 2016, 06:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Scored a minty oldschool speedmaster iv for cheap on ebay. I was pleasantly surprised to find not a spot of corrosion anywhere and the whole inside greased, even the drag stack. (Did this reel come from a forum member?) Man, Shimano sure did a great job with this reel, incredible japan made quality. Followed Alan's tutorial on servicing her and the compatible ht-100 washer stack. Chucked the spool in a drill and polished it with 800,1200,1800 and steel wool to a mirror finish along with the pinion. She casts really nicely and will be taking her out tomorrow to fish. The offset power handle feels great and comes with a sturdier brass lock plate and will be a good fit for other reels from this generation. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310840468687?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=610285985760&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Thanks for looking, Shakas and Aloha!

Tightlines667

Nice work man!

Looks like a sweet little lightweight set up.  Did you drop a delron washer under the maingear?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 31, 2016, 07:01:06 AM
Nice work man!

Looks like a sweet little lightweight set up.  Did you drop a delron washer under the maingear?

Not sure if this one would benefit all that much from a delrin washer. It's really smooth with the ht-100 but it's something to try out later.

alantani

score!  if you want to try a stainless steel and delron handle down the line, let me know!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: alantani on January 31, 2016, 07:51:19 AM
score!  if you want to try a stainless steel and delron handle down the line, let me know!

Alan,
Thanks a lot for posting that tutorial on the speedmaster iii/iv, I'm not sure if I would've pulled the trigger on this reel had I not been able to see what it looked like inside first or what parts I needed. Despite not having freespool matching even my jigmasters this thing casts really well! Would you ever consider doing a ball style knob out of delron? For reels smaller than a 113h I personally like that style knob.

Aloha,
Kyle

alantani

there are already alot of really nice ball grips out there.  no need to re-invent that wheel. check what smoothdrag.com and alan chui offer.  they're really nice!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!