New bearings

Started by slipperyclam, February 02, 2016, 01:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slipperyclam

Ok so I am sorta ADD on my reels I use. I was wondering what all you people think abought changing my stock bearings out to a good set of Boca bearings on my Okuma star drag reels (cold water and convectors). Would I notice a benefit or should I just stick with the stock type bearings. I do have good carbon fiber drag washers in already and lubed with Cal's and level wind shaft and bearings soaked in 321. Just looking to get more performance out of them. 

akfish

I doubt you'll notice any change at all -- and you certainly won't see anything if your reels are level wind reels. On the other hand, if the stock bearings are getting noisy, of if they are frozen due to corrosion, a new set of bearings will help considerably.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

clean out the stock bearings, lube them up and then see.  i think you'll be fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

I work my reels constantly when fishing as I only do high speed artificial lures and it is seldom I notice that  a bearing is no longer 100% while fishing.

When servicing I will detect a bearing that has become fairly "rough" and replace it, but then usually notice no determinable difference when actually fishing.

I am no longer quick to replace a bearing, just some cleaning and lube is usually adequate.

Cornelis

oc1

I'm obsessed with the bearings too.  Am now using orange shield dry (not lubed) ceramic bearings.  The difference in casting distance is easily measurable with light jigs.
-steve

johndtuttle

Quote from: slipperyclam on February 02, 2016, 01:59:53 AM
Ok so I am sorta ADD on my reels I use. I was wondering what all you people think abought changing my stock bearings out to a good set of Boca bearings on my Okuma star drag reels (cold water and convectors). Would I notice a benefit or should I just stick with the stock type bearings. I do have good carbon fiber drag washers in already and lubed with Cal's and level wind shaft and bearings soaked in 321. Just looking to get more performance out of them. 

There is only so much you can do with those particular models as they really aren't the sort of reel that would really benefit from higher spec bearings. Generally, the smallest and lightest baitcasters for casting the smallest and lightest baits (1/4-3/8 oz) are the only reels that really benefit from super fast bearings. The very light baits don't get the spool moving well and that is the (only) application where they really make sense.

Basic levelwind reels are trollers/bottom fishers and are generally the last that even really need bearings. They would do their job perfectly fine with bushings. :)

Not to discourage you, if you have need for performance (casting light baits) then there are a number of terrific reels out there that will do it. May need a new muse. :D

handi2

The Orange Seal ABEC7 CH bearings spin like crazy until you oil them. The 3x10x4 bearings will spin for over 30 seconds right out of the package with the shields on.

But they will rust without oil and the "orange seals" they use are magnetic too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Those seals are weird aren't they Keith.  The outer orange part has the consistency is silicon rubber but they are bonded to something rigid.  I didn't realize the rigid stuff is magnetic though.  I learned the hard way that you have to be very careful using any sort of solvent around them.  They start deteriorating in Simple Green and anything stronger will turn the orange part to mush.  If that mush gets into the retainer rings it's ruined.
You received better bearings than I did because my best ones only spin for 24 seconds.
-steve

handi2

I leave the shields off. No use for them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL