Quantum reels: why not on this forum?

Started by DoobieNaq, February 03, 2016, 06:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoobieNaq

I have a friend that wants me to service his Quantum Kvd special, so I was trying to do some research on Quantum (I have limited experience, but never with Quantum).  I haven't found much on this site, so i was just wondering why?

Friend said it's an older reel and needs a good cleaning (I can handle that - no problem), but he also wanted to know of any upgrades I would suggest - said maybe bearings and carbontex drag.  I went on Smooothdrag to find the size and price, but they don't carry Quantum either.  What gives?

If this is an old topic, just point me in the right direction, please.

alantani

we don't come across quantum's that often here in the san francisco bay area.  going through their reels has been a back burner project for quite a while not.  i was at the fred hall show a couple of years ago and met one of the quantum guys at a sushi bar.  i retire in a few months.  it would be fun to do, but here are quite a few projects ahead of them.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: DoobieNaq on February 03, 2016, 06:23:03 PM
I have a friend that wants me to service his Quantum Kvd special, so I was trying to do some research on Quantum (I have limited experience, but never with Quantum).  I haven't found much on this site, so i was just wondering why?

Friend said it's an older reel and needs a good cleaning (I can handle that - no problem), but he also wanted to know of any upgrades I would suggest - said maybe bearings and carbontex drag.  I went on Smooothdrag to find the size and price, but they don't carry Quantum either.  What gives?

We just follow our Bliss around here (ie just do reels we have or admire or come across frequently) and the focus is primarily on Saltwater where Quantum has a more limited presence. Saltwater reels also require more maintenance or get in more trouble otherwise. Heck, we think dunking your reel in freshwater is a good thing! :D

As far as Boca goes, they have the bearings you need just not cross-referenced to Quantum automatically due to the demand for others. If you take the measurements they can supply you with any bearing in a Quantum reel, its all standard stuff.

Take some pictures and write up a tutorial. I am sure we all would welcome it.  ;) That's basically how all of us got started. We admired the work Alan did and we wrote up a reel we liked.

DoobieNaq

Understood! Thanks - was just curious.

I'm from the Mississippi Delta area (South Louisiana) so we have the best of both worlds.  I can fish freshwater canals and bayous in the morning and be in the salt by noon from the same launch - I love it here.  But that also means that our low profile freshwater reels deal with salt too.  I'll try to post a tutorial when I do the cleaning.

Lyle

johndtuttle

thorhammer

Quote from: alantani on February 03, 2016, 06:33:24 PM
we don't come across quantum's that often here in the san francisco bay area.  going through their reels has been a back burner project for quite a while not.  i was at the fred hall show a couple of years ago and met one of the quantum guys at a sushi bar.  i retire in a few months.  it would be fun to do, but here are quite a few projects ahead of them.   :-\

Hey Boss, to clarify, you are retiring from toxicology and not reels, correct? Don't be sweating the masses... :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on February 03, 2016, 08:07:29 PM
correct!

Alan,

NOW, you can devote your time to SPINNING reels . . . LOL ! ! !

Dave

Keta

I went on Smooothdrag to find the size and price, but they don't carry Quantum either. 

Dawn (Smoothdrag) sells CF washers in many sizes, measure the ones in the reel and find one that is close.

Look for the CF washers here, http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4507.0
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

kawgirlval69

i happen to have quite a bit of exp. with quantum baitcasters..  i service quite a few  not counting my personal arsenal of 14 quantum energy pt's.  i like to trick out stock bearings..done it for years and the difference is day and night.  much further casts with much less effort.  now i will tell you a new opinion..boca bearings are worth their weight... outstanding cast control as in there are no spin glitches(this affects fluorocarbon much more than braid) you get with stock tolerances. orange seal #7 are so so smooth, but the slightly lesser #5 is really nice itself.  takes a few casts to re evaluate your brake settings and spool tension settings, but once you do you start to see how the pros make it look so easy.

now to the drag... the reason smoothdrag doesnt have them listed is they dont make them.  dawn said it is the odd size of the washers. ill say that the stock drags arent that bad on the quantums especially if they are properly greased.  i will say im in the process of trying to get a good measurement and find some sheets that thickness and cut a few to try..time seems to be that problem..lol   if you have any questions feel free to message me. happy to donate some quantum knowledge.   

seriously though..the bocas really make these reels enjoyable to cast..but i can help with the econo version too.

BILOXITARHEEL

Just read your post. I live in South Mississippi and get Quantums in regularly to repair. Quantum is a division of Zebco. I have dealt with them for years and get excellent service on all their products. http://www.tackleservice.com/Consumer is where you can see their schematics and order parts. 

handi2

I really like the Quantum reels. I have mostly their spinning reels. The very good thing about their reels is that you can get any part you need very easy at their website.

Very clear schematics and the parts and bearings are super cheap. When you can get new bearings for one to three dollars that's less than anywhere else.

I use the Smokes inshore and Boca's offshore. I've never had a problem.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL