Rock Cod fishing tips?

Started by dustin.brace, February 07, 2011, 02:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

Anyone have some rock cod fishing tips? I am heading out on Tuesday for Rock Cod out of H&M landing in San Diego. I have never fished for rock cod, nor have I used braided line. Any tips regarding terminal tackle or technique/rigs to use?

H&M requires that you rent a rod and reel for this trip so I have no idea what to bring. When I called to ask if they provide terminal tackle the woman that answered evaded answering and suggested that I bring some "just in case". I have no idea what to take... Can anyone offer any suggestions?
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

Hoo boy, where to start?
Okay, let's say you're going to Colonet, Baja. A good setup would be a 4/0 to 6/0 sized faster-retrieve reel with 50-80# spectra or dacron. You'll be going deep [250+ feet] so mono is out because of too much line stretch. Yoyo jigs, big hooks [3/0-6/0] for squid[?], and big [1-3# sinkers]. As far as how to rig, they'll show you that on the boat. If possible use as much boat gear as possible, your stuff is just a backup or if a lot of fish are being caught on a yoyo iron, you can switch to that.
You must have abrasion protection for your thumb! A roll of flexx-rap is good.
There will be more tips coming from others .........
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

You know Dustin, this is a hard one to answer without knowing the regs where you are going.  You may want to ask H&M again...maybe in person to get the scoops.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keith K

Call and ask if they are fishing with live bait or not.  With live bait all you need is a selection of lead weights between 4 and 16 oz and a pack of 2/0 hooks.  The deckhands will show you how to tie a dropper loop rig.  If no live bait, the most basic way is a 2 hook shrimp fly rig with strips of squid on each hook.  Same weights as above.  You can jazz it all up with iron lures as your lead weight.  Be aware of hook restrictions.  In norcal we can use only 2 at a time.  Go to any tackle shop in your area and tell them what trip you are on.  They will point you in the right direction.

Keith K

Then again...these boats take people who have never fished out every day.  I bet all you need to bring is a lunch and money to rent a rod and buy the gear that is ready to go.

Norcal Pescador

The only trip H&M shows for rock cod that day is a deep water trip in Mexico. Southern Cal is closed until March 1st.

Dustin, I hope I didn't put you in overload with my earlier reply. Baja rock codding is just like bottom fishing off San Diego, only deeper and the fish are bigger - reds and lings! Like Keith said, you could just walk on the boat because they always expect to get some novices. 8)  Big weights get your hook down faster so there's less drift and you don't have to wait forever to hit bottom.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Hey Dustin, Rock Cod Report on H&M?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

shrimp fly jigs with strips of squid are a good start.  then swim baits or iron.  when they fish get lockjaw, go small.  a number 4 circle hook with a dime sized piece of squid.  thunking the bottom attracts attention.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

slip tip

Unless it's been changed  :o the number of legal hooks on one gangion was 4 in Mexico. Off the CA coast it's still 2 as far as I know, just like Keith said.  I usually fish jigs and I've got some real "Ling Killers" so the number of hooks allowed is no problem wherever I fish.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!