Die cast aluminum vs CNC aluminum

Started by billystrikero, February 07, 2011, 10:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisy

Quote from: billystrikero on February 09, 2011, 01:08:10 AM
I thank everyone for his contribution because I know what to look for when purchasing my upgrade. I would like to include this link for reference: http://www.trinityforge.com/why.html.  The opening sentence is critical when deciding between Shimano or Daiwa or whatever reel out there.

That's steel brother and generally can't be cold forged/extruded, handle aluminium this way and all you'll end up with is a pool of aluminium :-), I see what you mean by not cutting the Isotropic Grains during the machining process by cold forging the reel parts into shape, one thing I wonder about Shimanos cold forged claims is if this means machined from bar stock or actually cold forged into shape (which sounds expensive) and lightly machined to finish them off. All "bar stock which is milled/machined" reels are cold forged with CNC machining generally providing the finest tolerances. The Daiwa Luna, Pluton and Shimano Calcutta TE's are all cold forged (bar stock) and CNC machined reels, that's frame and side plates. Alans cracked frame incident occurred on a bar stock and machined frame and had everything to to with tolerances and compression and little to do with the aluminiums production process, since reading about this whenever I'm putting screws back into any blind hole I only very lightly grease the threads on the screw ensuring there is no grease on the end of the screw. No matter what reel brand you go for if you look for "machined from bar stock" or "cold forged" then you should be getting the good stuff, if you only see "CNC machined" this will give you fine tolerances but still could be Die Cast (making the title of this thread a little confusing). Saltwater fishos beware of magnesium/magnesium alloy as this stuff will disappear in the salt (Daiwa Steez) but Shimanos Core has been coated and protected making it saltwater safe.
Hope this helps making the next big purchase decision a little easier.

Cheers Daisy
Aw c'mon sweetie? I only need one more reel :-D

JGB

good info.

Most good manufactures will use cold forged and CNC machined for their high stress parts. Okuma has been cold forging their spools and side plates and reel foot as far back as the Titus Gold series. I have not seen anyone who cold forges their frames. It seems they all say CNC T6-6061 bar stock for the frames. I have a suspicion that the so called bar stock is extruded bar stock  which is similar to cold forging but acts on only one axis.

In the long run if the reels are designed correctly they can make a strong reliable reel from any material they choose. Aircraft grade still sounds good thou.
Jim N.