How to Wrap Dragon Scales--short version

Started by cbar45, February 10, 2016, 04:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Dragon Scales are a simple and effective means of adding pizzazz to an otherwise plain-jane rod. While there are many variations such as the spiraled marbling developed by builders like Jim Trelikes, the basic form and foundation of the wrap is as follows:

1. Layout and spacing for the under-wrap is the same as you would do for a simple diamond or chevron.
    Dragon Scales look best when done on multiple axes, using thicker thread which gives a more pronounced effect.
    For this wrap I chose to use size "E"   

2. Bright metallic colors lend good contrast for the over-wrap.
    Carefully pack threads and adjust wrapping tension as needed to prevents gaps from showing.

3. Two coats of finish lock the over-wrap in place. An initial thin coat helps with bubble release--a common problem working w/metallics.

4. A simple spiral wrapped in bands and tucked under faded end-caps completes the look.
    For a smooth-looking wrap, I prefer to apply a thin coat of finish to the highest point first--the end-caps--followed by a few medium
    coats of finish over the middle section only. This portion of finish over the scales is gradually built up until it is reasonably level with the
    end-caps. A final thin coat of finish over the entire wrap blends everything together.

5. Completed pair of 8' ultralights..:)

Chad

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Beautiful work, Chad --

Lots of talent!!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

STRIPER LOU

Reel 224

Nice work Chad. I'm slowly learning the different methods of wrapping from the books you suggested to me. Reel and rod work  go together like Apple Pie & Ice Cream. IMO

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

very nicely done, sir. what kind of rod lathe are you using? CRB?

Alto Mare

Very talented...thanks for sharing Chad.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cbar45

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, I am but a small fish in the very big pond of rod building.

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 10, 2016, 02:21:05 PM
Nice work Chad. I'm slowly learning the different methods of wrapping from the books you suggested to me. Reel and rod work  go together like Apple Pie & Ice Cream. IMO

Joe

Joe I'm glad those books are helping, now you've got me craving for apple crisp/apple crumble with real vanilla ice cream..;)

Quote from: thorhammer on February 10, 2016, 02:28:33 PM
very nicely done, sir. what kind of rod lathe are you using? CRB?

Thanks, I use a plain old PacBay RW-3L extended to 12ft--mostly for light sanding, marbling, and long under-wraps.

Guide and decorative wraps are all done by hand.

For shaping grips I use a modified drill press, but really need to finish building that simple homemade lathe I started on 2 years ago.

Chad

Newell Nut

Very nice work Chad. If you were to add an Alps chuck to your set up you would really be amazed at how much better things would get for you. It is a very rugged unit and gives you three speed choices on the drier due to the pulley arrangement with the same motor you already have. I too need to make a little mini lathe of some sort for working on EVA but bench space seems to be an issue. Kind of maxed out for now.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 11, 2016, 01:46:17 PM
Very nice work Chad. If you were to add an Alps chuck to your set up you would really be amazed at how much better things would get for you. It is a very rugged unit and gives you three speed choices on the drier due to the pulley arrangement with the same motor you already have. I too need to make a little mini lathe of some sort for working on EVA but bench space seems to be an issue. Kind of maxed out for now.

I just bought Alps rod building unit w/upgraded chuck, they say you can use it far shaping cork grips as well. I haven't received it yet but it is replacing my old hand wrapping unit. I think I made a good choice.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Newell Nut

The unit will shape EVA and Cork just fine. Problem is it makes a mess so keep the shop vac close by. You will want to pop a hole in each section of the track and screw it to your bench top for stability. If your bench top is not perfectly level and smooth you can shim with a piece of tape two where needed to get the track as straight as possible before attaching to the bench top.
I am trying to do most of my shaping on what I call my dirty bench and keep my wrapping bench clean. Just a personal thing.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 11, 2016, 02:34:24 PM
The unit will shape EVA and Cork just fine. Problem is it makes a mess so keep the shop vac close by. You will want to pop a hole in each section of the track and screw it to your bench top for stability. If your bench top is not perfectly level and smooth you can shim with a piece of tape two where needed to get the track as straight as possible before attaching to the bench top.
I am trying to do most of my shaping on what I call my dirty bench and keep my wrapping bench clean. Just a personal thing.

Thank you for that information, my bench top is level as I just built it I have to do some more work to it before I set up my rod wrapping station. I have a good shop vac, but you got me thinking about the mess cork and EVA makes, that dust would reek havoc on the finish if it wasn't completely clean.

Joe