Stainless steel Jack For All Versions 113H, 113 and US113

Started by Black Pearl, February 13, 2016, 07:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

This SS jack for 4/0 is available in my online store (https://squareup.com/store/pro-challenger-llc).

This will fits all versions 113, 267, 268 and all US113 versions.

It is $7.99 each + $1.50each shipping.

sdlehr

Alan, why do some of your gear sets come from the start with SS eccentric jack and pinion yoke, others do not. Do all models not wear parts similarly?

Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Black Pearl

Quote from: sdlehr on March 13, 2016, 02:45:24 PM
Alan, why do some of your gear sets come from the start with SS eccentric jack and pinion yolk, others do not. Do all models not wear parts similarly?

Thanks.
Sid
Hi Sid,

That is a good question. I can tell you the reason behind it. I have told this to Sal for a long time. On the JigMaster gear set, it has the SS gear set, yoke and jack. The 113H has the gear set and the jack (in about 1 & 1/2 month). The reason I did not make the 113H SS yoke because SmoothDrag have made 113H SS yoke for awhile. I don't want to put Dawn on that situation and make that SS yoke. Eventually, I will just buy the 113H yoke from Dawn.

Thanks,
--Alan

anglingarchitect

He really is a considerate benefactor, and a great host.

Lots of good guys here.

Black Pearl

Here is a few samples of this jack for Sal to test.

sdlehr

Looking at the design of both these SS as well as the brass, I've been wondering for awhile now how the tabs are formed. Is the metal part of the tabs just a hair thinner than the rest of the jack because they appear to be pressed out to have a longer length after than they had when it was a flat jack. Anyone know how this is done?

Sid
Sid Lehr

Keta

Metal thickness is consistent before stamping, the die stretches the tabs a bit.  They are stamped out with a die punch and then the tabs pressed in, either with another tool or the stamping die, most likely separate operations.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Thanks Lee. I figured you would be the one answering, I almost requested your attention :) Does this pressing happen at room temperature or do you have to get the metal hot and a little softer? I've never done any metal work...

Sid
Sid Lehr

PacRat

Sid,
I use to do a bit of stamping in my younger years. I imagine this is a complex die to produce this jack so I won't go into all of it but it is likely done with one or possibly two strokes depending on how complex the tooling is. Stainless can be beastly on punch and dies as it is very tough and 'sticky'. Stainless tends to wear, gall, and dull tooling. Correct alloys, tolerances and lubes help to extend tooling life. The lugs in particular are accomplished by what is called a 'lance and form' operation. The tolerances are tight on the sides so that the punch will shear the edges but the ends are radiused and relieved so that the ends won't shear. The bottoming die (usually cut on an EDM) has the contour of the humps so that the punch pushes the material into the shape of the die. There are other things going such as the punched part is sandwiched tightly between two pieces of the tooling so that the part won't deform and there will typically be some sort of heavy stripper springs that keep the part from sticking to the tooling.
-Mike

sdlehr

Thanks Mike. I understood enough of what you wrote to have it mostly figured out. A lot of heavy, loud machines with sharp edges at work....

Sid
Sid Lehr

Keta

Quote from: sdlehr on April 20, 2016, 01:34:33 PM
Thanks Lee. I figured you would be the one answering, I almost requested your attention :) Does this pressing happen at room temperature or do you have to get the metal hot and a little softer? I've never done any metal work...

Sid

And I have only spayed a few cats.... and have scars to prove it ;D   Actually they were lambs.

It is done at ambient temperature.  The machinery to do the stamping is large and strong, if I had a working digital camera I would post a photo of the punch press that is taking up room in my shop.  I will try to borrow a camera today.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2016, 04:10:04 PM
Actually they were lambs.
Actually I'd easier believe you were castrating males, not spaying females. I don't think anyone does the latter.... I castrated a Greyhound this morning.... anyone else care to share their morning? :)

Sid
Sid Lehr

Keta

You must run fast.

Here's my punch press,

Mark Twain

PacRat

Lee,
Thanks for sharing that. It made me smile. You don't see those in use much anymore. My company went to hydraulic and they are slow but they are easier on tooling. I could triple production with a good C-frame. How many tons is yours?
-Mike

Keta

No idea, I will check the rating plate in the morning.  Kachunk, kachunk!

Mark Twain